Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Profile <> Network Name  (Read 3368 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Network Profile <> Network Name
« on: September 17, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
I don't really know how to describe my issue, so it's tough to Google for it. So it may be a simple fix (probably is), but I need help.

I am connected to a WiFi network - "RJB Guest". But it shows, when I click on the system tray, that I am on "RJB Guest 2".

I have gone into the registry key - it shows "RJB Guest" as well.

What has happened, and how do I fix it? 

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Network Profile <> Network Name
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:33:02 PM »
Why does this mater?
It works, doesn't it?
You or somebody set up a guest account on the router.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
Nothing drives me battier than when people answer help requests with, "Meh, that's not an issue for me, so it shouldn't be an issue for you."

No one set up a "guest account." It is my router on my network which I named "Guest".

I would like the network profile in my network list in Windows to match my network name. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
You already mentioned the registry, but they should be listed as one of the entries under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles"

Within one of those, the "ProfileName" value should be "RJB Guest 2". You should be able to change that to "RJB Guest"

There is also a "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\Unmanaged" key which has other entries, some of which contain network names.

I happen to have "Network 2" as my LAN connection name which never bothered me either, but changing the instances there in the registry and then rebooting has changed it to "Network". I don't have any "2" entries on my laptop but I was able to do the same to turn it from "SSID Name" to "SSID Name Deluxe" in the foldout, so I think it works the same for wireless connections.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »
one of the entries under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles"

That's the one I was referring to. In both that one, and the second one you mentioned, the Description and the ProfileName both are valued at "RJB Guest".

I may try changing it to something arbitrary and then retitling it, seeing if that does the trick.

Thanks.

rjb

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
Just forgetting the network and rebooting didn't do the trick, but forgetting it and deleting both registry entries, then rebooting did.

Thanks for pointing out the second one!