Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop freezes for 1 second everytime I move my mouse.  (Read 5938 times)

shortcxke

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    My laptop freezes for 1 second everytime I move my mouse.
    « on: December 09, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
    Hello! I've tried to research all over the internet to solve my problem for an entire week, but I failed to fix it.

Here's the problem: My laptop screen freezes every time I move my mouse.

I am a digital artist/animator, and I must be very precise in my art. However, with my computer pausing every other second, it makes my line work jagged and uneven. When I do a long stroke, and my computer freezes, my mouse skips from one place to another, causing a weird straight line.
    This happens when I move my mouse. When I draw, I use a Wacom Intuos Pen Tablet.

However, this doesn't only occur when I draw. It occurs when I do normal things, such as surfing the web and looking through social media, but only when I move my mouse.

My computer does not freeze when I watch a video;it is smooth. However, if I were to move my mouse around while watch the video at the same time, the entire computer freezes.
    However, my audio is different; does not freeze even If I move my mouse.

I use my laptop's mouse pad to navigate, and experimented by also trying a USB mouse. It still pauses every other second with the USB mouse. Also with my pen tablet. Since they all serve the same purpose; to navigate around the computer, they all act the same way.

My computer details:
    Dell - Inspiron 3541, bought in the early autumn of 2015. Windows 10.

Here are many things I've already done but failed:
    - I tried to use different types of navigation: my laptop mouse pad, a USB mouse, and an intuos pen tablet. They all equally caused the computer to freeze every other second when I use them. | This means that the type of mouse I'm using isn't the problem.
    - I removed many unnecessary applications, photos, videos, etc. They all amounted to around 6 GB, but it did not do anything to ease the problem. My computer still has "338 GB free of 455 GB" according to the OS (C:) thing. | This concludes that computer space is not the problem.
    - I performed an anti-virus check on my computer (using a free AVG application), and it is free of viruses. It is very easy for me to remove virus-causing things, so there is definitely no viruses.
    - After all of these, I reset my computer.  Although I allowed it to keep my files (I still have many animation/art projects to complete), it removed all of the applications, and made my computer start afresh.
    This reset, however, did nothing to fix my problem. My computer still froze every other second for a second whenever I moved my mouse.
    - I troubleshoot my computer on the Dell website, taking a Diagnostic test.
    I passed every test, and it said that there are no errors detected.
    - I checked if my drivers are up-to-date, and yes. they are up-to-date.
    - Yes, my computer is up-to-date. The time that I saw this problem was a few hours BEFORE I updated to the most recent update. I updated, and the problem is still evident.
    - I have no warrant for my computer, especially since it was from 2015, so I can't really send in my computer.

Extra information: If i played games, such as ROBLOX or a Steam game, my computer works perfectly. It does NOT pause at all, and is smooth, even if I move my mouse a lot. If I were to move my mouse from the game screen to the Taskbar and moved my mouse around in that area, my computer freezes; in other words, my computer freezes whenever I move my mouse, but NOT when I play games.
    This is interesting, and I am unsure why this is.

I am desperate to solve this problem, because I need to complete my animation as soon as possible.

If you have any tips or suggestions, I would sincerely appreciate your help! I will take any response!

Thank you so much!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My laptop freezes for 1 second everytime I move my mouse.
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:50:23 PM »
    I would check the HDD health with the free diags from the HDD manuf. site...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
    and after you try that, I would restart the PC into Safe Mode and see if it happens there as well.
    if not, then it's software that is getting loaded normally that isn't loaded for Safe Mode.
    mind you, pinpointing that software is going to be trial and error.

when did this first start happening and does that tie into a software/hardware change?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
    I am a digital artist/animator, and I must be very precise in my art. However, with my computer pausing every other second, it makes my line work jagged and uneven. When I do a long stroke, and my computer freezes, my mouse skips from one place to another, causing a weird straight line.
    This happens when I move my mouse. When I draw, I use a Wacom Intuos Pen Tablet..

What input devices do ou use?
    Be spedific, especially the tablet pen.
    I think that the Wacom Intuos Pen might not allow you  to use any other inmput device other tahtn just the keyboard. Please give exact modle number and we can search for reports of where the thatlet pen does not play well with mice.

Reference:
    Windows 10 is not nice with mice and Wwacom.
    The list time the external pen worked flawlessly was when Bill Gates was interested in it back in Windows XP days ...
    BTW, did your PC come with another OS? Do you still have the other OS?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:00:15 AM »
    As it is a laptop I would first check the built in touchpad properties/software and check certain features such as palm detection and such are enabled and try disabling them and see if that helps. You might also try removing any touchpad software altogether (it will still work as a mouse in that case).  Just speaking personally but the touchpad software included with all the laptops I've ever used with regards to the touchpad have been trash and oftentimes I've traced unusual behaviour involving the mouse/touchpad to some idiotic feature of the touchpad software. Some of the checkbox settings may as well be titled "Do weird unpredictable things sometimes for no reason"
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

shortcxke

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »
      Hello! I checked safe mode and found that my mouse wasn't laggy during that time, so I figured that it must be a software that I had.
      So I went through my files and deleted random things that (I thought I would not need).

However, something happened that caused my computer to not connect to the internet anymore. (I think I deleted something important). I could not diagnose it (windows said that it either failed or theres no error, even though it doesn't recognize any internet.

I decided to reset my computer once more, but 100% (i saved my pictures/videos files into my USB) and my computer resetted back into its original factory settings; "fresh and new".

Quotations? Because resetting my computer FULLY did NOTHING to help my problem of my mouse. Yes, I can finally connect to the internet, but its LAGGY everytime I move my mouse. Its the same.
      I believe it might be a problem in the system? None of my own files could do this because I freshly reset my laptop.

What do I do? Do I try to find a software that is important to my system that however caused this problem? Should I recheck this again using Safe Mode?

It cannot be my Wacom or anything.

I've used this computer since 2015 and it worked perfectly with my Intuos Pen and Tablet CTL-480 (which was bought in 2014), but the problem started to occur around a week ago.

Maybe it's a Windows 10 problem, or maybe I should get a new laptop (although my laptop seems very fast and clean and sleek except for the fact that every time I'm moving my mouse it lags, every other second, for a second.

I'm not very familiar with some of your responses, especially the first post. I'm unsure what an "HDD health" is and how it would help my computer.

I will try researching it though, I'm desperate to draw and animate again.

Thank you!

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »
      sounds like Safe Mode had no issue, but can we be 100%, did you run it long enough in Safe Mode?

if so, than it certainly would point to a hardware driver issue.

what would be good to try now is another clean install of Win10 (yep sorry), but with the Wacom (in fact anything non-essential, *censored* - everything) disconnected.
      in theory it should be good, as there would only be the 'normal' devices Windows has to install and you'd be using the latest ISO, the Fall Creators update (1709.16292.15) instead on one of the 3 or 4 updates since then which may have made it go pear-shaped.

you can get that ISO via the media creation tool from here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
      Shortcxke,
      Here is yet another suggestion.
      You might try a prior version of Windows 10 and Not allow any updates.
      The purpose is to establish that it was the update that made Window act funny.
      If that does make a difference, then the next thing is to find which update item made the change.

Here are recent  builds:
      You might start with 1607, which is still widly used by many.
      http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-download-build-14393-0/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-iso-download-standard/

Whichshould take you pto:
      http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-download-build-14393-0/free-windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-iso-download-successful/?windowsiso_id=143

Ihope this is of some help. I have used both 1607 and 1703.
      Recently I had an issue with a update, but not the same. However, some users have sid tath the updates either fil or impair perforamnce. Thst is a reson for going bnack to aearlier version. Many are using 1607 and do not move up to a new version.

This is not really my own idea. It is what others say.
      Here is a story from computerworld.
      https://www.computerworld.com/article/3187755/microsoft-windows/dont-rush-to-install-windows-10-creators-update.html
      For the first four months of a Win10 version's initial release, users are actually working as unpaid beta testers for Microsoft on the not-yet-stable version
      Plwase read what he has to day.
      I think you need to try a more stable version of WIndows 10.   8)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
      1607 is the latest version of Windows 10. Later versions are currently only available via the Insider Previews which is what is being referenced in your last quotation.

I'd say  that absent saying otherwise, the OP is not running an Insider Preview as you cannot accidentally receive them and it would be a rather important confounding factor that would have likely been mentioned.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
      @bc_programmer,

1709 is the latest non-insider release.

more info here; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/release-info

any version above 16299.98 (at time of writing) is considered Insider Preview.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
      I assumed that because all my non-insider systems are on 1607, and indicate they are up to date, that they were, in fact, up to date and that 1607 was the latest available update, my mistake was probably in applying common sense to Windows Update!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
      + 1

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »
      ahh yes, we've all been bitten by MS at some stage.

welcome to the Club!   :D

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
      You might try a prior version of Windows 10 and Not allow any updates.
      How can Windows 10 users stop updates?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »