Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem found by spybot  (Read 3257 times)

THE_SAINT

Topic Starter

Beginner
    problem found by spybot
    « on: December 21, 2005, 12:34:36 PM »

Each time i run sbpbot search and destroy scan, sbyBot search and destroy comes up with with the following problem. Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify. Each time i allow Spybot to fix problem. But it reappears on doing the scan again. I copied the expanded version of the results  
    of the fixing Here is it
    Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, fixed)
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3  ---
    2005-11-04 Includes\Cookies.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Dialer.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
    2004-05-12 Includes\LSP.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Malware.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\PUPS.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Revision.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Security.sbi
    2005-11-04 Includes\Spybots.sbi
    2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
    2005-11-04 Includes\Trojans.sbi

I have the latest versions of spybot and also ad-aware from lavasoft. Norton Anti virus corporate edition is installed and updted regularly.
    Also when the computer is idle, at times i hear a 'ding dong' sound and the desktop shakes twice, and returns to normal. Windows Security centre is enable and running also remote acess has been turned off.  

Any solutions will be most welcom.
    thanks.
    The Saint

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: problem found by spybot
      « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »
      Online Virus Scan and Spyware Scan
      http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Highly recommended second Online Malware Scan
      http://www.ewido.net/en/

Then come back.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 02:04:21 PM »
      Take Fed's advice...you have the type of baddie that is dis-abling all or some of your protection programs.
      Not good.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:30:53 PM »
      I believe the latest Spybot is version 1.4

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 09:58:30 PM »
        It is 1.4, good catch GX_1man, it gives us an insight into Saint's housekeeping habits.  8)

THE_SAINT

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 06:40:40 PM »
          Thanks FED,
          took your advise, and ran the online scans from both the  sites Trend micro, and ewido. trend picked a couple of unwanted stuff and then today just completed running the ewido on line scan. picked up at least 9 infections.
          GX1_MAN thanks for the tip, downloaded the latest version of Spybot S&D ver 1.4. ran a scan also it also brought up the problem as mentioned earlier. That was before runing the ewido scan.
          Will report back again if this problem is noticed.
          I am a novice at all this so when people here at the office tell me it is the latest version i believe them.
          Thanks also to patio for the valuable advise.
          I have a question in fact i need some advise, on protection for my home PC. the OS is windowsXP. at present i have installed the avg antivirus free version and keeping it updated. If I want to purchase an Antivirus/malware protection software Can you give me some advice to the most suitable software considering it si a home pc and we use the net for IM emails ..updating windows and general browsing.
          Thanks
          THE SAINT

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 07:30:20 PM »
          The free ones are just as good - Spybot, AdAware, cCleaner, AVG and Ewido are more than aenough for a Windows user.

(Please note that I didn't mention that I need none of these things for Linux!  :o)

THE_SAINT

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 06:53:49 PM »
            GX1MAN,
            can I have 2 different antivirus/malware software on the same PC?
            2. Ran the spybot versio 1.4 came up with the same problem I mentioned in the 1st instance.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »
              THE_SAINT.....Please note ...that SpyBot is not a anti virus program ........It is designed to remove ......spyware . It is ok to have say .....Spybot , Ad-aware , M/S antispyware , Ewido all on the same machine at the same time....they peacfully co-exist......However , anti virus programs are a differant thing ...they don't get alone well ...... So decide on one anti-virus and use it ....having 2 installed IS NOT better..
              Remember that with the spyware removers .......they all wont find it all .....thats why its a good idea to run scans with a number ..........

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
              If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage

Champion_Munch

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »
                I have a question in fact i need some advise, on protection for my home PC. the OS is windowsXP. at present i have installed the avg antivirus free version and keeping it updated. If I want to purchase an Antivirus/malware protection software Can you give me some advice to the most suitable software considering it si a home pc and we use the net for IM emails ..updating windows and general browsing.

I have found that the freeware anti-virus applications do not do as good a job as the commercial ones. Trend Micro is my personal favourite, and I've heard lots of people who say they love NOD32, although I've never tried it. Norton takes up too much resources and McAfee is a pain trying to configure.

Freeware anti-spyware applications, on the other hand, are fine. I have found no need to purchase any yet. Like dl65 said, you shouldn't have more than one anti-virus or firewall running at once (make sure if your using a personal firewall that you disable the one that comes with Service Pack 2)

Will report back again if this problem is noticed.  

By that do you mean the problem is gone?

with regards[/color]
                « Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 08:31:03 PM by Champion_Munch »