Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: notebook question  (Read 2784 times)

racealoot

notebook question
« on: December 22, 2005, 12:47:38 PM »
Hi i have a compaq presario 2700t

And  i am having a problem with it. It starts normally and when i get to the log on screen where it asks you to enter you pw, it just turns off. I am thinking that it might be the memory but i dont have much experience with notebooks. Another thing is that when i connect it straight to the power  with the battery taken off it bearly gets past the compaw screen before it turns off.

Any help would really be appreciated and let me know if you think i can troubleshoot it any further. I don't really want to statr buying parts without atleast been somewhat sure.

Thanks in advance.

racealoot

Re: notebook question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:27:57 AM »
/bump

No one has any experience with this??

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 02:49:48 PM »
Notebooks are a different kind of beast. There is only limited upgradeability, and working on them by someone inexperienced can easily damage them further.

That being said, some laptops with a totally dead battery don't boot,e ven connected to power. A failed CPU fan can cause it to shut off, as can a failing power supply or connection, a dead or near dead motherboard, coke spilled on it, etc.

When you say password is where it shuts down, is that the system password or the Windows password? If it won't stay on long enough to run a test on the memory, you will have to take it out and take it somewhere if you think that is it. If you can't get it to POST, that can be a fatal indicator. Replacement motherboards, capacitors,e tc. are not advisable for a novice.

How much do ytou have in this machine and how much $$$ are you willing to invest to try to resurrect it? When was the last time it worked perfectly?

racealoot

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 05:53:35 PM »
well actually i got the notebook the way it is now.

A friend of mine wanted me to take a look at it but all my exp is really with desktops and network componets, so in other words i am a novice when it comes to this :P

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 06:02:59 PM »
Often a computer just turning off by itself is a heat related issue. It is possible that the laptop may be having a heat related issue and is just overheating and shutting itself off to protect itself. However, because it is a laptop it could be also a power related issue. For example the laptops power inverter board (may be called something different with the Compaq) can cause this issue if it's not supplying proper power to the computer. Unfortunately with laptops there is not much most users can do because of the difficulty of disassembling a laptop as well as the inability of exchanging parts within it.

My suggestion would be to take it to a Compaq repair facility and have them look at it if you're wanting to salvage the laptop.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein