Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 Video Cards ~(possible?)  (Read 3291 times)

I Live In Hope

2 Video Cards ~(possible?)
« on: August 04, 2004, 09:06:14 AM »
Hi,

Is it possible / easy to take a deal from Dell e.g a Dimension 2400 etc PC with onboard video and buy my own GeForce or other good 128Mb Video card in order to run the latest games / 3D graphics? Is it easy to disable the onboard video and are there problems I should consider before doing this?

Thanks all.

Michelle.

Raptor

Re: 2 Video Cards ~(possible?)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:15:40 AM »
You can only have one card using the AGP slot. The secundairy card would be forced to use PCI.

AGP increases performance, it is therefore advised to install the card you will use for gaming on the AGP slot.

Disabeling your onboard videocard can be done in the BIOS.  Errors may occur whilst having the onboard videocard enabled. There is no need to have the onboard card enabled since they will not combine processing power and your system will only be prone to clahses between the two videocards.

Useful articles:

AGP
PCI
Computer Video Card Support and Help

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 08:03:26 PM »
If you're going to use a Dell like this, get one of their server-grade machines, the bargain crackerboxes are unsuitable. The onboard video often fails to fully disable, and many of the machines don't even have the AGP port installed on the MB. Same for HP/Compaq and Packard-Bell bargain crackerbox machines.

Build your own with discreet parts from merchants like www.newegg.com or www.pricewatch.com, or from your locally-owned computer shops. Then you'll be able to get the power and expandability you want.

maqtda alsadr

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »
Yes, you can install a new video card even in the pci slots. Make sure when playing a high performance game to disable the onboard card in settings. If you want you can hook another monitor to the old onboard display output, and when you have to swap screens all the time you won't have to, they'll  be side by side.