Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless router  (Read 3652 times)

matt

wireless router
« on: August 04, 2004, 05:18:32 PM »
i have an old d-link router that has been giving me a lot of trouble and am in the market for a new one.  i have had trouble with dlink other products so i'm thinking of going linksys.  and one recomond a wireless router?  and big question, with a linksys router a dlink wireless nic in a different computer should still pick up the signal right?

MalikTous

Re: wireless router
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:43:35 PM »
If you are running a desktop network, I recommend that you use a wired network, it will be faster and more stable, as well as immune to wardriving and easier to set up. If you are running laptops with your network, get a combo router and wire your desktops, and equip your laptops and/or PDAs with wireless cards. Then lock down unused MAC addresses on the wireless channel and install encryption.

Linksys has been good on my wired network between 3 Windows tower boxes, we all get cable broadband effectively.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 05:19:42 PM »
If you are talking about  wlan you should consider encription of it? scanners love wlan.... d-link router can be used with wireless....what is wrong with your old d-link router what nic cards have you got  realtek ?and what config have you set your net to?and what o/s  is this a general equiry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 05:22:34 PM by merlin_2 »

matt

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:35:49 AM »
i have an old di-713p rev A0, and when ever the wirless based computer put a lot of traffic in the air the router just shuts down.  it still shows a signal but the computes cant access the internet.  two d-link nics, one comput running w2k on xp pro.  the xp pro is also runnig linux and i cant get it to acess the internet through the dlink wireless card