Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Boot - 2 Drives or 1  (Read 2469 times)

Term_ite

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Dual Boot - 2 Drives or 1
    « on: July 19, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
    Wondering what all you sages with dual boot systems would recommend. I'm wanting to install Win XP along with my existing Win 10 Home. Should I install another small SSD or install another partition on my main drive? (Hope I'm on the right board for this question.)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dual Boot - 2 Drives or 1
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »
    Quick answer:
    Make sure you have a backup of your main system. And make sure you have the original install CD  or DVD for the Windows  OS and any other stuff.

Linux takes a small amount of disk space as compared to Windows. You can use a partition manager to free up a little bit of space. About 16GB of free space anywhere on the drive is fine.
    https://www.easeus.com   Look for free partition manager.

Linux will automatically find the free space and install there if you tell it to install alongside of Windows.

My personal preference now is to use two esperate drives. I use a old laptop drive on a USB adapter to run Ubuntu 18.04 version I found. But I had  to select the device in the BIOS priority menu.

Before doing an install, try the 'live' version  from the DVD until you get the  general idea of how Linux works.
    Above all, have fun!  :)

Another variation of Ubuntu:
    LuUbuntu 18
    https://lubuntu.me/bionic-released/
    What is Lubuntu?

Lubuntu is an official Ubuntu flavor which uses the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE). The project’s goal is to provide a lightweight yet functional Linux distribution based on a rock solid Ubuntu base. Lubuntu specifically targets older machines with lower resources, but also runs great on newer hardware. Along with a simple but usable graphical user interface, Lubuntu comes with a wide variety of applications chosen for their small footprint so you can browse, email, chat, play, and be productive.
    On old hardware, like mine, Lumbuntu seems to be quick to load.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
    If your computer has room for 2 drives, I'd have 2 drives with an OS installed on each of them, then choice between them is hot key at post screen to chose which boot device to boot from. I use to set up dual boot systems with single drive but if a build gets messed up its far more work to get it fixed with dual boot vs a dedicated drive for each OS your going to run.

Another thing I do is I install a 2nd hard drive in non-dual boot systems and clone the drive to that drive and then disconnect that drive but keep it in the case. So when I need to rebuild the system clean again I just connect the master drive and clone that overtop of the normally used drive. Then when done disconnect power and sata communication to drive. So much faster than having to install from scratch and install all drivers and updates. You might still have some updates but not as many as a completely clean build.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 04:59:39 AM »
    I don't think either option is outright superior. There are trade-offs to be made in either case. However since you want to install WIndows XP you need to be rather careful. For dual booting Windows it is suggested that you install from oldest to newest so that it will set up the appropriate loader chain. Installing XP on a system that has Windows 10- even to a separate drive- is going to destroy the Windows 10 BOOTMGR and I do not know what that would mean or if there is an effective way of repairing it which doesn't leave you simply "fixing" one or the other to boot into it. If you install to a second drive and don't have your original connected at that time, you can have an isolated XP install on that drive, then you can reconnect the Win10 drive and choose which OS to boot from using your BIOS boot order options.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Term_ite

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »
      Thanks so much to Geek, DaveLembke & BC_Programmer for your informed insight & suggestions. Looks like I’ll go the separate drive route.I have just enough knowledge of computers to be dangerous (to my own system’s health). ;D
      BC, not knowing about the possible threat to the Win 10 Bootloader :o most assuredly saved me a ton of grief.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »
      Footnote:
      Yes, Windows XP will destroy the boot loader of a newer version of Windows!
      Trying to repair the boot manger of either Windows 7 or Windows 10 is now almost impossible. **
      Except for a stand-alone product from the Macrium Reflect 7 rescue CD.
      Here is the free download:
      https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
      Works great!

** I think older versions of Windows 10, maybe 1609, could repair the boot lewder from the DVD. New versions do not.  :(

Term_ite

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
        I'm surprised I was ahead of you on this. I used Macrium Reflect Free to clone my C drive when I installed an SSD to replace an HDD. I'm also backing up my main drive weekly with it. Great program.