Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Selecting Linux is confusing  (Read 5319 times)

Windows98

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Selecting Linux is confusing
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »
I wanna try Linux out but the huge list is confusing. Once I did select one I cant seem to find the download area.. Linux requires more then one CD? I do not want to use a live CD I want to install it on my computer. If anyone can recomend one and give me a download link and tell me how many Cd's I need I would greatly appreciate it.  I like one with a friendly user interface like windows and not like text the one I tried was text.. I guess I must of downloaded something wrong...

Computer Im going to put Linux on

Intel Pentium II: 300mhz 400mhz avalible L2 Cache 256Kb
RAM: 32MB  96MB avalible
Westell Digital 2.1gb Hard drive
Video Card: 2MB
CDROM: Yes
Floppy: Yes
Ethernet Card: Yes

Anyone can give me a link to download and one that will work for these system specs I greatly appreciate it. It is just a computer I built out of leftover parts so it doesnt have anything fancy on it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 08:26:59 AM by Windows98 »

GX1_Man

Re: Selecting Linux is confusing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:55:57 PM »
with that minimal configuration (you're not really giving it a fair shot by the way) Linux will run fine in text mode, but the KDE or Gnome desktops will be unpleasant and SLOOOOOW. Another Window manager may be tolerable. (Would you run Windows XP on that and expect a good result?)

Anyway, start with slackware 10.2 is the latest. (9.1 is still downloadable and can be better for meager resources so try that if this doesn't work out.) The full 10.2 takes over 3 gig of HD space (other distributions take much more, so you would really have to prune ti fit that 2.1 drive. Again, Windows now requires what 2 GIG's for just the OS. This is also with many applications.

It is a 2 CD download and you get it for free here:

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/distro.php?distro=1

There is a LOT of good support online. Just know what your hardware is goinfg in, an ask if you have questions. The only requirement is you can't just run it for 15 minutes and say "I don't like it....it's not like Windows".

You can also download and run DSL (D*amn Small Linus) quicker on that machine.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

Broadband connection is suggested, but there are SOME workarounds if you are stuck with dialup.

Be sure and post back or PM me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:58:33 PM by GX1_Man »

Windows98

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:23:45 AM »
Well I am using DSL to download it. I am going to download it at night where everyone is asleep and no one is using bandwidth but me. As for the computer not having much specs... I really dont have a computer any faster really. All my computers are 5 years old. This is the best computer I have:

Intel Celeron 500mhz L1 Cache 16Kb L2 Cache 128Kb
RAM: 128MB
Video: 8MB
Hard Drive: Maxtor 12gb
CDRW: Yes
Current Os: Windows 98SE Service Pack ?

I plan to buy a new hard drive seeing as 12gb is inadiquite but I do not know what size i want or what I will pay I have my eyes on a 120gb Segate for $100. But I do worry about preformance on these computers
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 08:26:15 AM by Windows98 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 09:42:01 AM »
Just leave 5 gig unallocated and load in Slackware after Win98. You'll do fine with that.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 03:24:49 PM »
Fedora Core seems nice. It runs quite well on my 500Mhz/384MB RAM Intel Pentium III Compaq Deskpro. It even detected all of its hardware, apart from the sound card, from what I could tell.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 04:52:13 PM »
Raptor, I am so proud of you. You finally gave it a go. And you can still have Firefox too!

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:11:23 PM »
Yes and I need help.

My Linux book didn't cover that error.   :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 06:12:26 PM by Raptor »

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 07:39:58 PM »
You need help with sound?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »
I didn't get to that chapter yet, so no.  :)

I need help with this