Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive needs formatting  (Read 10146 times)

ccbutch

hard drive needs formatting
« on: December 31, 2005, 03:40:46 AM »
to start, I had a 250 gigabyte maxtor hard drive installed on my compaq presario using windows xp service pack 1.  It started getting viruses and spyware.  So i used microsofts anti spyware program and I forget which virus cleaner(it has annoying siren when ever it finds something) to fix all that, but it was still running slow.  A co-worker said I should defrag it, so I did.  

When I started my computer up after I defragmented it, it came up with a window saying, my configuration was wrong.  It gave me 3 choices.  1. run it as it is. 2 revert to last known good configuration.  And I forget 3, but none of them worked, I was completly locked out.

So I bought a new hard drive, Western digital 7200 rpm.  I installed it using old xp disks and upgradded to service pack 2.  I hooked up my old hard drive to rip all my old stuff off it on to my new one, then to wipe it clean and use it as a back up.

The problem is, I can't get into my old one, everytime i try it says it needs to be formatted.  Everything should still be on it, I just need a way to find out how to get it.

Thanks

pcdoc4christ

Re: hard drive needs formatting
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 04:08:18 AM »
CCButch:

What is the status of the old hard drive in Disk Management?  To view the status:

1. Right-click My Computer and choose Manage
2. In Computer Management, double-click Disk Management

For Disk 1, does it indicate the disk is healthy, or something else?
For the logical drive letter(s) for Disk 1, what is listed as the layout, type, file system and status for each volume (i.e., for each drive letter)?

Best regards,
Doc

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:17:34 AM »
I suspect he will get the "RAW" message. Usually very bad news.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:13:40 AM »
I suspect he will get the "RAW" message. Usually very bad news.

Right, GX.  My hope is that Disk 1 will not show, which may mean he just did not connect the hard drive correctly, or used an incorrect jumper setting.  

Otherwise, it may be a virus or mechanical failure that has damaged the file system.  Bad news, indeed!

ccbutch

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:34:30 AM »
ok in disk management I got:

Disk 0                
Basic                  PRESARIO_RP (D:)                 PRESARIO (C:)
279.45 GB          3.19 GB FAT32                        276.26 GB NTFS
Online                Healthy                                  Healthy (System)

Disk 1
Basic                 (G:)
31.50 GB           31.50 GB
Online                Healthy

and up top on G,C,and D the layout=partition, type=basic, status=healthy, fault tolerance=no, and overhead=0%

So I thought my old hard drive not connected right and that's just a partition of my new one, cause my old hard drive was 250 gb.  

but when i go to system  information, storage, disks it shows my old drive, but at the 31.49gb

Description: Disk drive
Manufacturer: (Standard disk drives)
Model: Maxtor 6Y250P0
Bytes/Sector: 512
Media Loaded: Yes
Media Type: Fixed	hard disk media
Partitions:1
SCSI Bus:0
SCSI Logical Unit:0
SCSI Port:0
SCSI Target ID:1
Sectors/Track: 63
Size: 31.49 GB (33,814,609,920 bytes)
Total Cylinders:4,368
Total Sectors:66,044,160
Total Tracks: 1,048,320
Tracks/Cylinder: 240
Partition: Disk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size: 31.50 GB (33,820,286,976 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset: 0 bytes

*censored* confusing technollogy
Thanks again

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:13:07 PM »
CCButch:

So Disk 1 is a SCSI drive?  If so, do you have it jumpered for the correct SCSI ID number and is the SCSI daisy chain terminated correctly at both ends?  Is Disk 0 a SCSI drive and, if so, for what SCSI ID number did you you jumper it?  Did you check (or do you know how to check) if SCSI drive support is enabled in the BIOS setup?

Doc
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 06:22:32 PM by pcdoc4christ »

ccbutch

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 07:45:13 PM »
I have no idea if the disks are SCSI, they both have the SCSI Bus, Logical Unit, Port & Target ID in the system information.  I'm pretty sure the jumpers are set right, new one is master, old one is slave.  The old hard drive says it needs a cylinder Limitation Jumper (CLJ).  not sure what this is, but I tried putting on the black and white jumper in it's place and they both got the same result.

I don't know what a daisy chain is.

for the new drive the SCSI target id=0 so says system info

And I don't know how to check if SCSI drive support is enabled in the bios setup

sorry for being such a pain

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »
You should have put "they are SCSI drives" in the first post.

ccbutch

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 08:58:51 PM »
I didn't know they were.  to that matter, I didn't know there was much difference between those and other drives.  sorry

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 09:16:12 PM »
I suspect 95% of the traffic here couldn't tell you what a SCSI drive is, much less go into terminators, cabling setting up a SCSI system, etc. So by posting SCSI, it gets all of (and hopefully only) those who can be of assist.

Not chastising you now, just showing you how to get appropriate help quicker next time. Doc and dl65 would probably be the strongest contenders in this area that I am aware of.

J0K3R

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 10:48:50 PM »
it ISNT a SCSI drive

Maxtor 6Y250P0 250GB Hard Drive (IDE ATA-133, 7200RPM, 8MB)

i think 96% of the traffic here havent a clue as to what google is
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 10:49:39 PM by J0K3R »

J0K3R

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 10:58:44 PM »
im sorry to say this ,, but you did have a hard drive problem in the first place ,, when you defragged it what data that could be read was moved into a contigous line however by the sounds of it some was lost during the defrag and this makes it nearly impossible for a file recovery however you can try something like this http://www.recovermyfiles.com/  . cant see it working tho but might retrive some of your data ,, after you format it now and get it back to its full 250 gig.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 12:25:20 AM »
    ccbutch.......Ok ..... if the Maxtor drive is a 6Y250P0........
    Description: MAXTOR - 250GB 7200RPM 8MB CACHE ULTRA ATA133 EIDE DIAMONDMAX PLUS-9 HARD DISK DRIVE.
    So it is not a SCSI ..........

Disk 1   ( This drive "G" must be your Maxtor )
    Basic                 (G
    31.50 GB           31.50 GB
    Online                Healthy

How was it formatted  FAT32 or NTSF ?

BTW ......CLJ = Cylinder Limitation Jumper

Operating System: Windows XP and 2000 have a 32 GB format limitation for FAT 32. That means if you formatted the drive in FAT 32 with Windows XP and 2000, the largest partition supported is 32 GB. You will need to format the drive in NTFS if you want to partition the drive larger than 32 GB.
    OR DID YOU .....
    If you format the drive with the CLJ or AC jumper then the drive capacity will be limited to 32GB. After removing the CLJ or AC jumper the drive will still be recognized as 32GB. You must reformat the drive without the CLJ or AC jumper to gain the full capacity of the drive.

Drive Jumpers: Applies to Mac and Window users. On drives that are larger than 32 GB there is a Capacity Limitation Jumper (CLJ) or the Alternate Capacity (AC) Jumper setting. This jumper will limit the capacity of the drive to 32 GB and should only be used when the BIOS hangs when trying to auto-detect the drive. If you have two jumpers shunts on the drive you will need to remove the CLJ or AC jumper. To resolve the issue use the standard jumper settings.

So it would appear that your new WD Hard drive is refered to as Disk 0 and the old Maxtor is refered to as Disk 1
    Tell us exactly how you have the two drives jumpered .

Get back to us with the answers .

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:27:17 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 12:31:18 AM »
      ccbutch.... I neglected to ask you for the model number of your Western Digital drive .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

ccbutch

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 02:34:51 AM »
      the model for my  western digital hard drive is WDCWD3000JB-00KFA0 or WD3000JB works on the official website. It's 300 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache and a EIDE hard drive

I believe the last time I formated my maxtor drive was about a year and a half ago, and it came out with all the space.  I havn't formatted it since then, I formatted my new one, set it up, then hooked in the new one.  

as for the jumpers
      Maxtor
                _
      0   0   l0l       0
      0   0   l0l   0  0

western digital
                _
      0   0   l0l   0   0
      0   0   l0l   0   0

Those are for the master and slave settings, should I put them on the cable select?  or reformat my new one and not hook up the jumpers or hook the up differently?
      dumb computer