Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Win10 from a USB Drive given by the PC maker...  (Read 2639 times)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    Installing Win10 from a USB Drive given by the PC maker...
    « on: August 19, 2018, 09:37:39 AM »
    From 2 years ago. Is this the best alternative I have today?
    I'm concerned about cluttering with all the updates that version would need to catch up.
    Or that should not be a concern?
    Or there's another way to do it?

About this USB Drive given by the PC maker: it's called USB System Recovery Drive. But it didn't come with it's own Windows 10 key number. So I can't just get an updated Win10 installer and use its key number with it.

Thanks guys!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Installing Win10 from a USB Drive given by the PC maker...
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »
    1st of all did you ever bother to register Win 10 ? ?...if so you won't need a key...

2nd of all you will have tu run all Win updates since the time the USB was created...no way around this part.
    I don't understand the cluttering part...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »
      Patio,

I suppose I did register it, it's been while.

About the clutter, the reason why it worries me is because the more updates I need, the more space they'll take. And presently I have a space issue in my 125 Gb SSD drive. Reason why I'm seriously contemplating to remove Win10 from that small drive, and install it in my 1 Tb HD drive.

I was just reading about Storage Spaces. It says here: Storage Spaces helps protect your data from drive failures and extend storage over time as you add drives to your PC.
      I like the part where it says: "...and extend storage over time". Do you think this could solve the space problem, or SS is only for the purpose of backing up files?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
      Windows updates don't accumulate in the way you seem to think. The files made obsolete by an update can be removed if they are even left. Your restored Windows install won't grow to fill a 125 GB drive. I put a new install of Windows 10 on a 120 GB solid state drive in July 2015, have taken all updates, and have a pretty full set of software applications (MS Office and much else) and I still have 37 GB left. In fact, if I ever run into space difficulties I will just get a new 256 GB SSD (a Samsung Evo 860) since it would now cost less than I paid for the 120 GB Evo 840 I have now.

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
        Salmon,

That's exactly what I was expecting for my SSD. But for some reason I keep running out of space. The system was notifying me of low space every other day. Believe me when I say I have tried just about everything. In fact, other than the apps Windows 10 came with, and Twitch (280 Mb) I am only keeping a few apps that are not larger than 75 Mb in C (SSD). All the other larger apps (Gimp, Blender, LibreOffice, Astroneer, Dying Light, L4D2.) I keep them in the HD drive. Of course, all media (videos, music, and photos) are all in the HD drive too (and backed up in an external HD). I already did the Disk Cleanup in the Properties window too. Oh, And I have checked that box for compressing the C drive (which instead of shrinking grew like 2 Gbs actually).
        I just managed to find more apps to move out, so I'll be ok for sometime. But if C continues running out of space I'll have no choice but to move it to the HD drive.