Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 32-bit -- Very Good Performance for old Netbook  (Read 75578 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Just wanted to share how Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 32-bit on my Intel Atom 1.66Ghz Netbook with 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM and 320GB SATA II Hard Drive runs surprisingly fast for this 9 year old Toshiba NB205 Netbook.

So if anyone out there has an older system with a 32-bit CPU and thinks it might be the end of the road for that 32-bit CPU system but want to keep it around a little longer and have better speed with very little lag, this latest 32-bit Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon build is lite on Memory and CPU use.

I upgraded from XP Home SP3 to Windows 10 Home 32-bit on this Netbook and it was horribly slow. The CPU was constantly pegged to 100% and the 2GB RAM also pegged to 100% use and excessive paging to hard drive.

It looks like the remaining years of use for this netbook will be running Linux for online use. The push to move away from Windows XP SP3 was because I started having problems with websites because the browser was out of date. Figured I'd give 10 a try but this Intel Atom Processor is too light for it to be an enjoyable user experience. Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 32-bit however is so sweet in that it acts like a new netbook and snappy performance. Plus most of all importance is able to surf the web without issues!  ;D

TheWaffle

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 32-bit -- Very Good Performance for old Netbook
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:58:17 AM »
I am currently using an ASUS x540 that a friend backed over with their car. (All it needed was a new screen.)  Anyways I run Debian stable with MATE, and it has been very responsive. Though older versions of Chromium have stomped on the CPU, lately it has been running super well. Currently I have 6 tabs in chromium and eclipse photon open.

Is web browsing snappy with a 10 year old atom cpu?

TheWaffle

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:19:32 AM »
It uses 429Mib of ram with chromium and eclipse closed.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »
The Intel Atom is fast for everything except for Flash Games and Video Play. The GPU of the Atom APU is pretty weak is the issue. The CPU is a Intel Atom N280 1.66Ghz single-core with Hyperthreading making it look like 2 cores but pretty weak.

When the netbook was new in Fall of 2009 when I bought it, it played streaming videos ok in 360p standard definition but 720phigh definition would stutter for Youtube.  Movies played through VLC played fine for movies as MP4's etc full screen.

Now in Fall 2018 though videos cant be placed full screen or else you only get sound and like 1 frame per 5 seconds updated. However the video in the small box of play of Youtube without selecting full screen plays ok with some stutter. I havent tried VLC yet with Linux Mint 19 to see if it is still happy or not as I have a new Core i3 8th Generation laptop for games and videos, but for fear of getting my new laptop stolen when on the road I leave this new computer at home at all times and I take old computers around with me that no one would bother with stealing or if they stole it no personal information to steal from me and they would have a low end computer on their hands of little value to a pawn shop.

I generally tuck it under the seat but no matter that detail, if I came back out to my car and it was gone. Oh well.. I have a stack of old laptops to pick from. Its just that the Netbook is nice and small and surprisingly the 9 year old battery can still run for 4.5 hours on a full battery charge so battery is healthy. Whereas the others would need to be plugged into an inverter to keep them alive with 120VAC inside my car.  ;D

For the longest time before this Netbook I would bring a Pentium III 600Mhz Dell around with me with 384MB RAM and a Rosewill USB Wireless Adapter plugged into the single USB 1.1 port for connecting to open wireless networks, and I'd at times have my car unlocked and no one messed with it because it was this old computer and generally the people who steal that stuff have an idea of whats new from old so they wont bother with it unless they want to steal your info. This laptop died when battery leaked all over main board. So the netbook was the replacement to this. But until Linux Mint 19 I thought maybe thats it for this netbook. But nope its good for a couple more years maybe, but only for Linux operation for online use while on the road.

I probably should have clarified my web use habits for this hardware in my initial post. I dont use this netbook for watching any movies. Its mainly used for researching information and typing on forums and logging onto and interacting with my colleges Moodle 3 server.

Which with Windows 10 the Netbook was just a heater pumping out hot air out its side and not very responsive for doing anything.

However with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 32-bit it acts fast to have multiple tabs open and surf the web for doing just about anything else except the Flash games and Videos should be avoided still because the GPU is weak and always has been weak.

TheWaffle

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
Where you running xp on the old dell?

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:16:13 PM »
The Dell Dimension 4600 in my other post here it use to be running XP Home SP3. Now its onto Win 10 64-bit but the only thing old is the case now. Its got all newer guts inside.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
One question: does it really matter what kind of interface you use with linux in respect to peformance? (i.e., cinnamon, gnome, kde, xfce, etc)

Some people say it does, some say just pick the one that suits you best in terms of the look/gui that comes with such....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 12:01:24 PM »
does it really matter what kind of interface you use with linux in respect to peformance?
Yes. The Desktop Environment is the most likely part to cause performance issues.

Some Desktop Environments don't even work with certain hardware. GNOME, for example, is completely unusable on my Thinkpad T41p, and Cinnamon won't even start.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 03:38:47 PM »
I had a similar issue with an old Thinkpad but it would black screen on me when launching the GUI so I thought it was something related to the Video Driver missing. The strange thing is that the live environment of the installation media worked fine, it was only when installing it local that the issue showed up. However when going with Fedora instead of Mint the issue went away. I thought it was the strangest thing that a healthy older Core 2 Duo laptop with 2GB RAM had this issue. You would think it would run with the driver that worked from the Live Distro environment that worked vs somwhere in the installation it decides to use a different video card driver to which you see the Linux Mint Logo and dots and then black screen and nothing yet computer still running but display wouldnt work. I should have tried a different version of Mint on it to see if it was just Cinnamon. But didnt think the video driver would be different between them, so i took a leap to Fedora to which it would work fine after install.  :-\  This was about 3 years ago. I no longer use that laptop because the battery is shot. Its in a pile for parts or running with a constant AC connection.

leftwing

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 08:10:35 AM »
    Old thread, but if it is relevant to anyone note that I have a Gigabyte M-1028 with same CPU and memory specs as the OP and it runs Windows 10, update 1909 acceptably well.  It's not snappy but OK for a machine that I would not grieve over if I dropped or lost it.  It does not typically peg memory or CPU utilization and plays Youtube videos OK.  In fact, the machine is configured for dual-boot with Lubuntu 1904 and performance is generally better when I am running W10.