Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A password question. Not on computer.  (Read 2113 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    A password question. Not on computer.
    « on: January 01, 2019, 12:15:43 AM »
    Hello & welcome to the New Year (in Australia).
    Now dont blast me for this question please, see if its a legitimate question first. Thanks. ( my personal feeling this will be deleted as it is password related & we dont actually do that. Perhaps you might message me. )

I had a PVR ( Personal Video Recorder ), seven years & it work well, then it carcked it.  ??? Something went fizz.
    I purchased a second hand PVR exactly the same model, Thomson JL8006  by name & it is so different from my original.
    That may be an update or something else in the O/S.

So to make changes to the Factory Reset operation or be able to record, change and/or to update it, I need to enter the password of 6 digits.
    Whether Alphabetical or numeric, I dont know. My original Thomson had only 4 digits & standard issue was 6666 & changeable after having entered the code.

Can some one tell me if there is a way to find out what that password is please.

Thank you & Have a Happy & Safe New Year.

Imnoguru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

Re: A password question. Not on computer.
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:00:15 AM »
    Try 000000 (six zeros)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:49:40 PM »
      Thanks Salmon Trout, for the suggestion. I tried most of what I know as " Common " passwords. Mine was 6666 as per a forum I found for Thomson PVR. The forum was " Whirlpool for others to try ".

Typical passords are 1234.. 56 in my case a possibility. 111111. 222222. 333333.444444, 5555555, 6's. So on & so on. abcd,ef, ab12, abc1, lots of combinations of all the above.

But never thought of 6 zeros?  Whats wrong with my brain these days... :-X

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED... IT WORKED 8)

Think I might have to invest in some more mensa activities.

Thanks Salmon Trout.  ;D
       Best wishes for the New Year to you & Computer Hope.  ;D
      ImnoGuru.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:23:50 AM »
      I'm not a genius. All zeros is the unlocker for quite a few PVRs.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »
      It's all zeros on my Panasonic DVR.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »
      I'm not a genius. All zeros is the unlocker for quite a few PVRs.

However knowing that makes you smarter than those who don't...i didn't know that... 8)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
      I did a bit of Googling for "PVR PIN unlock". All zeros for quite a few Thomson models mentioned in AV forums and the like. I thought it was worth a try.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
        Yep SalmonTrout you did well no doubt. My old one had 4 x 6's as the pin code. This one threw me off because it had 6 digits.

I figured that as it was exactly the same model in every way including the exterior, that it was owned & the previous owner made their own pin code.

Low & behold this unit is NOWHERE the same as my original, other than the exterior casing. ( I'm yet to crack it open. )

There is no way to set up a record time or date. I have to be on the channel when my program starts & turn it off manually when the movie finishes or let it run until I manually stop recording.

Maybe I should get components from the new one & see if they work in my old one? I like the old one better.
        (nothing is a done deal at that level.)

Well at least I now have the parental lock turned off... Maybe I can watch something higher that PG?