Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Greyed words unreadable in Windows 10  (Read 8429 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Greyed words unreadable in Windows 10
    « on: January 03, 2019, 12:40:13 AM »
    I thought I'd ask if anyone with Windows 10,  has a problem seeing the greyed out wording displayed on screen?

I'll try to add a screenshot for you.

It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

Re: Greyed words unreadable in Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »
    I don't have any problem. It's grey, sure, but far from invisible. Have you tried playing around with contrast an brightness settings on your display?

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »
      Yep, I have Salmon Trout, resolutions, brightness, etc. Firefox, Google, IE all seem to be very much the same.
      As you say its not a big problem, just annoying more than anything.

I do notice that if I am further away from the screen ( & the angle of the screen changes ) it becomes more clear/darker.

Im thinking its more to do with my screen than anything else actually. If I adjust the screen angle to be further angled away from me its acceptable. It just looks funny having the laptop that far open.

I've put up with it so far, so maybe if I win the lotto, I can afford to buy an upgrade. In the meantime I'll just increase the screen angle a bit & wear my glasses. LOL.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 03:07:45 AM »
      Windows whatever, I don't think that is the issue. You can play around with the TrueType settings and maybe see some difference. Sounds like you are noticing the LCD screen viewing-angle problem. Unlike CRT screens, the image on an LCD screen is only viewable when the eye is within a certain angle, vertically and horizontally. Some makers give angle information e.g. 170/150 which means 170 degrees horizontally, 150 degrees vertically. The ideal spot for the eye is right in the middle of these angles, and as you go off centre things can degrade. Things like brightness and contrast (especially) degrade until right at the edges the image can vanish or look really weird. Some maker's viewing angle figures are kind of hopeful, and a 160 degree angle may be only about 50 in reality. You can go into a lot of research on this, but basically bigger is better, newer is better, and cheaper is worse. You pay more for a better display. I viewed your screen grab on a 24 inch Hanns-G HL231 desktop monitor, which was mid-range when I bought it 2 years ago. On a personal note, I have to say that I hate using laptops. I have to wear glasses, and I am forever having to move my head, fool with the angle of the screen, etc. I have a Dell "business laptop" about 5 years old, and it is awful! As for a laptop 'looking funny' with the screen at a wide angle, well, the correct angle for you is going to depend on the height of the laptop compared to your eyes, and that will depend on its horizontal distance in front of you, and the height of whatever it is on (desk, table, etc), the chair you are on, and so forth. There is no single correct angle, which is why you have a hinged screen that you can adjust.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:49:07 AM »
        I think you've hit the nail on the head there Salmon Trout. I've noticed viewing angle is a big part of selling television sets.
        Sellers display them in the optimal position so they look fabulous when you come in to the display area.

When you get you $5000 Television home.. its nothing like the unit you purchased from the displayed units.

I think its  just a case of having to modify my viewing angle.

Guess I'll just have to keep moving the screen up & down depending what I'm doing. ;D