Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: newbie.. confused  (Read 2904 times)

Jess0287

newbie.. confused
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:33:14 PM »
I just bought my laptop (with Windows XP) this past memorial day for use at college.  I haven't had a problem with it until now.  now i'll be on for 1/2 hour to an hour and suddenly everything i'll do freezes and the entire computer shuts down, no warning given.

i don't even know where to start looking.  i know NOTHING about computers... does anyone have any ideas?

thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: newbie.. confused
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »
What make and model and is it still under warranty?

Are you using any adware/spyware/virus protection? If so what?

What processor and how much RAM? What is your operating system? Do you have all of the service packs, updates, etc.?

This will get us started.

Jess0287

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 02:47:41 PM »
I've got a compaq computer.. HP Intel Celeron M processor 1.30GHz..  I use XP...  480 MB of Ram..

as for spyware.. I've got what they walked us through downloading on campus.. it's Symantec Antivirus, I do believe.

sorry-- as i said, i have no idea what i'm doing!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »
This may all be hardware. But it is a good idea to make sure your system is clean. Viruses are not the only bad things out there.

Staryt with downloading and running:

AdAware

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Spybot

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

Ewido

http://www.ewido.net/en/
These are ALL FREE AND SAFE! No reason not to use.

Then you may want to test your memory. Free download at www.memtest86.com, if you are up to it.

Is that machine still under warranty? It could be the power supply or some wiring problem internal that you cannot fix. We will know more later.

J0K3R

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
is the laptop plugged in to power when this happens or are you just using battery power

Jess0287

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 09:40:30 PM »
is the laptop plugged in to power when this happens or are you just using battery power

it happens both with battery and plugged in...

i've been trying the links in the reply but it keeps shutting down as the scans are run.  i'll keep trying though...

thanks.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 10:37:23 PM »
    Turn off system restore.
    Run the scans in safe mode.
    Turn off automatic reboot on system failure.

Jess0287

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 10:49:41 PM »
    yeah-- a friend was walking me through running some scans...  i did it in safe mode and it still stopped at the same spot.. a box popped up, i don't have a chance to read it all before the system shuts down, but it says runtime error but that's all i've got!

i feel like a total idiot over here, lol

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »
      It could be overheating, is it sitting on a hard flat surface with no obstructions to its vents?
      Laptops do not like sitting on laps.

Jess0287

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 11:06:22 PM »
      it's been sitting on my desk, where it always is, it only moves if i'm bringing it home.