Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to batch delete line 3 from many .cvs files  (Read 3449 times)

SJK_Daily

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Trying to batch delete line 3 from many .cvs files
    « on: September 14, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »
    We receive from our clients, thousands of Excel.csv files. Because of the the processes we run them through we need to open each file and manually delete line 3 from each file. It is very time intensive. What we do after we delete the 3rd line we resave the file in the same folder with a 2_ prefix to the file name. Is there any way to batch process these files to do this automatically? Appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks, SJK

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Trying to batch delete line 3 from many .cvs files
      « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
      You can certainly accomplish this with many different batch processing tools. Personally, I would recommend Python.

This is a very similar question to yours, with example code. The only change you would need to make, is to have the program write to a different filename, rather than the original.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4710067/using-python-for-deleting-a-specific-line-in-a-file

I hope this information helps.
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 01:53:15 AM »

SJK_Daily

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 03:12:57 PM »
        I'm sorry, I've never made one of these batch files before and I don't understand the steps either. I'd need the instructions dumbed down quite a bit. Thanks for any help that anyone is willing to offer.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
          For starters you can download Python from the Windows Store. (I'm assuming you're using Windows 10?)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/python-37/9nj46sx7x90p?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
          Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go