Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Emails being uniquely routed to two separate inboxes (same email address)  (Read 4833 times)

keyven

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

My office has been using Exchange to run our email system but a month ago we switched to our own domain and moved our email system to that domain.

We're using Outlook as a client.

Meanwhile I had not cancelled the Exchange subscription and now we're getting 2 separate and unique sets of emails to the same single email address.

It seems that anyone who replies to the "mail on the old server" will have their messages routed to the "old mail server" inbox. And anyone who replies to the "mail on the new server" will go to the "new mail server" inbox.

1. If I cancel the (old) Exchange subscription, will "all NEW replies to the mail on the old server" be automatically routed to the "new mail server"?

2. What is the most efficient method to combine the two sets of mail? Is there a software or specific way to bring the "original server mail" to combine with the "new server".  I don't want to risk deleting or overwriting a bunch of old mail.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    I do not know the answer.
    Maybe this might be of some help:
    To better understand the difference between Outlook and Exchange, you must know the difference between an email client and a mail server. A mail server is a system that stores and manages your sent and received mails over a network, usually over the Internet. Think of a mail server as your friendly neighborhood deliveryman who receives emails from local users and reroutes them for delivery. A mail server sends and receives emails using standard email protocols such as IMAP and POP3 protocols. An email client is used for sending and receiving emails. For example, a webmail is an email client that is installed on a server and functions in almost any web browser. Microsoft Outlook is an email client and Exchange is a Microsoft proprietary email server and calendaring server.

Read more: Difference Between Outlook and Exchange | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/software-technology/difference-between-outlook-and-exchange/#ixzz62CbJZOV7

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    HI

If you are using Imap for both the old and new server then back up the email before you do any canceling. The mail box contents is likely to be erased once the old exchange server is canceled when outllook sync's and finds the server is no longer there. The other way would be to stop outlook syncing with the old exchange server. Don't just delete the account out of outlook as it may delete the old exchange server mail. I would back up the mail anyway first. if you google, backup my exchange server mail there is plenty of hits .
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan