Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just built a Pc what software should I download first?  (Read 3103 times)

Owasisjim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Just built a Pc what software should I download first?
    « on: November 07, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »
    Everyone uses different stuff (with a handful of exceptions) so a lot of the "must have apps" lists include programs that many users will never touch.

Just get the bare essential apps (or use Ninite) that you're definitely going to use. Then as you start to need other programs install those as you go.

Also I always download my essential programs and drivers ahead of time when I have some time to kill and just put them on an external or flash drive. That way once I format I'm ready to immediately start installing stuff. Some stuff (especially drivers) can be slow to download.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Just built a Pc what software should I download first?
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
    Alternative to ninite is Patch My PC Updater
    Patch My PC does what ninite does, is completely free, has more stuff in their software list to choose from and has a built in scheduler (always automatically keeps software on your computer that's listed on their big list of software available automatically updated on a schedule, something ninite doesn't have at least in their free version)

Very first thing besides the automated updater software though for me is to install a third-party antivirus software (I'd rather have one of those instead of just using the built-in windows defender AV of Windows 10 but that's just me...)