Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need suggestion in selecting the VPN  (Read 5188 times)

ToxicCute

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Need suggestion in selecting the VPN
    « on: November 27, 2019, 07:15:00 AM »
    I am left with a few days on my PIA VPN subcription. Thinking to switch to another VPN provider. I want to use a VPN to access streaming services that are not available in NZ such as Hulu and US Netflix. on Google search, here are some deals that i came across:

PureVPN $1.32 for 5 years (Save 88%)

CyberGhost $3.5 for 18 months (Save 73%)

VyprVPN $5 for 1 year (Save 25%)

Expressvpn $6.67 for 15 months (Save 49%)

Can anyone guide me which VPN should i pick

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Need suggestion in selecting the VPN
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
    https://shop.pcworld.com/collections/apps-software-security

Might take a look at that place there --> they have several different vendor's lifetime VPN subscriptions you can buy (pay one price and it's either lifetime straight off or after a certain amount of years, contact the respect VPN vendor's support to extend for no additional cost)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
    Of concern is the legal issue. Look here:
    However, while a VPN may cover your tracks and keep your activity hidden from your internet provider, torrenting copyrighted material while using a VPN doesn't make it legal. ... While a VPN service will hide copyright infringement activities, it won't protect users who are caught even after using a VPN service.Dec 14, 2017
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/news/142718-are-vpn-services-legal
    He also said:
    The reason is that most TV companies make a lot of money by selling broadcast rights to their shows to different territories and even different providers. Star Trek Discovery in the US, for example, is on CBS, but outside of the US it's available on Netflix. Netflix reportedly paid over $7m an episode for the privilege.
    Now  you know.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »
    The OP has not in any way noted that they will be using torrents, and how specific services and companies license things to different regions is not their responsibility.

I have noticed over the last few years the idea of a "VPN" as a security thing has taken off. A lot of internet videos have "sponsors" or ad spots by seemingly countless "VPN Provider" companies, all claiming to be secure and private and that they never log anything.

A VPN is so that your computer can be on a remote network as if it is on that LAN. For example I can connect to my work VPN and connect to databases and internal websites even though they only allow LAN connections and aren't exposed to the Internet. I could even configure it so that all my Internet Traffic is routed through my Workplace's Internet Gateway, so anything checking IP Addresses would see the IP of my workplace.

It doesn't really provide much in terms of security or privacy, though. I think most people, especially in the U.S, really just use it as a proxy to avoid their ISP seeing their data, particularly for torrents and to avoid throttling based on the content of their data. In those terms, it provides a bit of privacy, however, that is simply because it is acting as a proxy; you are connecting to the VPN provider's network, appearing as a LAN IP Address, and using that networks gateway as your Internet Access point. It is sort of overkill when there are free anonymous proxies available, many of which support https.

Besides that, it doesn't prevent you from being tracked, and it doesn't "anonymize" you, since IP Addresses aren't usually used for that; cookie data from trackers as well as things like browser fingerprinting mean your IP address usually doesn't matter. VPN providers have made a big noise about how important it is to prevent your IP from being "leaked" and how hiding it makes you anonymous because that is what they do. It also, importantly, doesn't prevent the *VPN Providers'* ISP from inspecting your traffic and/or throttling it based on what is present, either, since the secure connection is only between you and the VPN provider's network, once it goes out their gateway unless you used HTTPS it's going to be just as free and clear to their ISP as it would be to yours. Not to mention that even if they don't, they could be compromised and somebody else could.

So it really comes down to a question of whether you would rather your traffic go through your ISP, or whether you would rather have it go through some unknown VPS data center run by a VPN Provider that can map all your traffic directly to you (But promise they don't) and then go through that VPN providers ISP (whoever that is).

It's also not difficult to start a VPN provider. It's probably why there are so many these days. You set up a VPS and install some open source software and bang, you've got a VPN. Now charge people to use it and you are a VPN Provider. Now promise everybody you don't keep logs and you are private and secure. Maybe put a few gold star fake awards on your site. Make sure that your site checks where the IP that is viewing the site is from, if it's your network say it's "secured". Anywhere else say that your "IP Is being leaked" or some *censored*. Also reach out to a shitload of youtubers, because apparently lot of them will take money to metaphorically suck you off to their audience.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 10:24:09 PM »
    An great post, BC.
    I did not mean to imply the OP is a criminal.
    Rather my intent was to warn others that in some places use of VPN is contrary to laws  of the state. Namely the UAE and China.

Here is an article  abort that
    https://thebestvpn.com/are-vpns-legal-banned-countries/
    The author lists many countries.
    VPNs are legal, generally.
    It depends largely on the country you’re physically sitting in while using a VPN. But even then, their laws and restrictions are often opaque.
    What’s legal vs. illegal is not always clear.
    There is no ban in North or South America.  :)

Image is from site web site listed above.

ToxicCute

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 02:42:06 AM »
      https://shop.pcworld.com/collections/apps-software-security

Might take a look at that place there --> they have several different vendor's lifetime VPN subscriptions you can buy (pay one price and it's either lifetime straight off or after a certain amount of years, contact the respect VPN vendor's support to extend for no additional cost)
      I opt to subscribe to PureVPN this Cyber Monday! My friend is using this service I used her account with my location and connection. Till now, it's working fine for me!

@all thank you for replying! Much appreciated.