Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 no longer creating manual Restore Checkpoints  (Read 6976 times)

AnotherGeorge

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 7 no longer creating manual Restore Checkpoints
    « on: November 29, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »
    Ya, another Newbie. A Newbie to Computer Hope but not to computers. I remember when Windows Word for DOS v5.5 came out. Ohhhhh, it was sweet!

Anyhow, I have a non-technical Windows7 (Pro) question. As you know, MS will stop supporting Windows7 early next year. Meanwhile, I'm doing my normal stuff which includes occasionally installing apps and widgets - ALWAYS creating a Backup/Restore Checkpoint first. Right? WRONG! Recently, I discovered that, whereas the little manual-checkpoint panel goes thru the visuals of creating a Checkpoint, none is actually created. Yes, I'm careful to reboot my desktop PC first, and I know where to go to see what restore points are available, but there's only one Checkpoint - and that is the automatic one created when I installed something days before. I've made three tests of this, and there is always just that automatic one available.

Okay, I have to live with that. Right? WRONG!. I just updated my MediaInfo GUI (mediaarea.net) with a futile manual-checkpoint first, then install the GUI, then checked to see what restore points were available. The ONLY one was still the one of a small thing I installed a few days ago. That doesn't seem right.

Does anyone know if that is the way Windows7 is going to be from now on? What? Ohh, ahh - because I like Windows7 and I really don't want to abandon it and spend a month of torture loading W10 with all my stuff.

Does anyone know of a way to undo the removal of manual checkpoints?

Thanks

Numquam Dare Per Stultum Hominem Aequum Exitus
    W. C. Fields, Circa 1941

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 7 no longer creating manual Restore Checkpoints
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »
    Hi George welcome to computer hope.

I'm not aware Microsoft has disabled manual creation of restore points. I think it is likely either your hard drive is short of space. Also can you check the percentage of disk space you have allocated for restore points and perhaps increase it.

You could also select show more restore points and delete older restore points.

From your post i get you are using system restore as a backup which it isn't. You are better to backup the whole drive to a another drive especially with windows 7 support ending. Also should your present computer fail and not be repairable you can restore from the backup to the replacement  computer. Perhaps buy another used computer to keep as a spare. In a short time computers suitable for running windows 7 will be hard to find and there is a possibility you will not be able to activate Windows 7 after the end of support. So better to be prepared.

Also did you know you can upgrade your Windows 7 to windows 10 without loosing programs and settings. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

MSwhip

Starter
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
      "Also did you know you can upgrade your Windows 7 to windows 10 without loosing programs and settings."

And how do you do that?
      Please and Thank You

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:58:01 PM »
      "Also did you know you can upgrade your Windows 7 to windows 10 without loosing programs and settings."

And how do you do that?
      Please and Thank You

See the instructions here. And it specifically says
      Insert the installation media into the computer you want to upgrade, reboot, and boot from the installation media. Install Windows 10 normally. You can perform an upgrade installation that keeps your existing files or a clean installation that wipes your system drive.