Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which Operating System Is most alike to apple?  (Read 7728 times)

icelandman1

Which Operating System Is most alike to apple?
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »
 :( I just got a new laptop this christmas and my father installed linux on it. After messing around with it, i think linux is horrible!
My father has mac os x on his computer and i love the mac operating systems. But sadly they are only compatible mac based computers. Does any one know if there are any other operating systems that are like mac os?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Which Operating System Is most alike to apple?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 11:17:46 AM »
Mac OS X is based on a BSD kernel, which you could get on your laptop. However, it's not going to be anything like Mac OS X. Apple has put a lot of work into OS X and as far as I'm aware there is no clone or emulation that would allow you to run Mac OS X on your PC.

However, keep in mind that there are numerous different versions of Linux and Linux Graphical User Interfaces that you can use on your computer. I'm not sure which version you're running on your computer currently however you may want to consider a different variant or maybe just run Microsoft Windows on your laptop. The below link contains a listing of different Linux distros as well as the downloads for each of them.

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Finally, Apple also recently released Intel Macintosh computers. Which means they will need to port the Mac OS X to the Intel platform. This could potentially mean that Mac OS X may also work for non Apple computers. However, this is just speculation, but is still a possibility.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 11:21:43 AM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

GX1_Man

Re: Which Operating System Is most alike to apple?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »
What didn't you like and how much of a chance did you give it? There is a learning curce to any new OS, but the benefits outtweigh ANYTHING Microsoft has to offer unless you are a heavy gamer that requires that OS.