Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble rebuilding old Bare Bones Laptop ASUS C90S winXP from 2007'ish!  (Read 97648 times)

RVP

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    I am currently running XP Pro sp3 build 2600; 3GB RAM.

When I attempt to install drivers for my audio and video cards, the installs fail because the installer can't find compatible hardware. It is always the same, whichever drivers I try and that includes the ones from the original driver install disk.

Audio:

I have Realtek audio of some sort, but at the moment I am having trouble locating exact info.

Whenever I reboot, new hardware wizard attempts to help me install software for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus", but all paths lead to failure.
    (the original disks simply provides install driver failure message, as does V-R1.70 and recent driver for XP, R274 gives error: 0x0000227)

Video:

I have Nvidia 8600m GT 512 MXM2

However all attempts to upgrade driver end in error or failure.

The OEM driver says it can't locate any drivers compatible with my hardware. Whichever, Drivers I attempt to install, (old and older) will fail with this same message.

If I open sys info:

components\sound device - says "unimodem 1/2 duplex audio device" with some additional info

components\display - this section is completely blank.  However, there is a listing in problem devices - "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"

If I upgrade to Windows 7, then all audio problems are solved and a proper entry will be listed in "sysinfo". I don't recall of hand, but it shows that it has realtek and audio works.

Unfortunately, the video after driver upgrade is unstable and crashes the machine.
    There are old posts about incompatibilities with this video card and win7 (error10), that had me running vbs scripts, ect. but nothing helped.

In the end win7 ran so slow with my 3 big gb of RAM that I decided to give XP a try.

The notable difference is that with Win7 after install I have entries in sys info and am able to upgrade drivers, but with XP this is not the case.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Trouble rebuilding old Bare Bones Laptop ASUS C90S winXP from 2007'ish!
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 12:33:04 AM »
    Are you using the drivers from the ASUS website? It appears to list the drivers for Windows XP.

Unusual t hat the original Driver install disk doesn't work, but It may be that the provided installation was Vista at the time and therefore has Vista drivers on the disc so cannot find the drivers for XP.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

RVP

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Trouble rebuilding old Bare Bones Laptop ASUS C90S winXP from 2007'ish!
      « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:34:35 AM »
      I have tried the drivers listed on Asus Web site. They will not install...
      Many of the oem drivers still work. This has always been an XP system. I ran it for a while on win7.
      I have difficulty finding a browser that will allow me to connect to microsoft for any support, if anything could even be available.
      I am running IE8, but can't really do much with it. I can do a little more browsing with UC Browser, but neither will help me access any support.
      I am not really concerned with opening email or surfing the web, I just wanna run a few old programs.
      It seems right now my pc is unable to recognize my sound and video cards in a way that win7 easily sees them. Unfornately, with win7 Video crashes (screen black, machine would still seem to be running) and on win7 the machine runs to sluggish to be easily dealt with; Browser issues, Java troubles, ect.
      So, that's why I was trying with to go back to XP.
      Thank you for your input.