Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP WITH FLASH DRIVE PURCHASE  (Read 16176 times)

cats

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    HELP WITH FLASH DRIVE PURCHASE
    « on: January 18, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
    I currently have Windows 7 on my 2011 Dell Studio XPS computer.  It now only has 139 GB free of 465GB on the Local Disk.  It has several 2.0 usb ports (4 plus ports). 

I will be purchasing a new computer very soon (still shopping).  I'll need to transfer documents, photos, etc. to the new computer.  What flash drive should I purchase that will work with both my old and new computer? I do not know what ports will be available on the new computer.

I'm looking on Amazon at the SanDisk Cruzer 256GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-256G-B35).... Other suggestions are appreciated.

Note.... I am not all that tech savvy so any help would be very much appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HELP WITH FLASH DRIVE PURCHASE
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:25:27 PM »
    You could save money going with a smaller flash drive and copying over the data in smaller chunks if you want to save money. For example 32GB USB sticks aren't that expensive and if you make folders that have data in them that you check the size of such as making a bunch of 30GB of data folders like data1, data2, data3 and so on. You could use that 32GB flash drive to copy the contents of data1 folder to it and copy that to new computer and then delete the contents of the usb flash drive and copy the contents from data2 and do the same thing and then data3 and so on if you want to save money. Otherwise if you dont want to be bothered with having to chunk the data out into small folders of a maximum size that doesnt exceed the usb flash drive its actually better to buy like a 1TB or larger external hard drive and copy the data that way from one system to the next.

I personally like to use low cost solutions so I've done this with a smaller USB stick with data broken up into chunks that dont exceed the maximum storage capacity of the media that is being use to copy the data from one system to the next.

If you wanted to save even more money if you had someone who knows how to network 2 computers together with a data share between them you could tell it to copy the contents from one system to another and leave it going and the systems would transfer the data at either 100mbps or 1000mbps depending on what network adapter speed is and network router or switch speed is using hardware you already have on hand.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 12:06:45 AM »
    A USB 1 tb harddrive like this Western Digital one,  WD 1TB Blue My Passport Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBYNN0010BBL-WESN are only $10.00 more and would be faster writing and reading than the flash drive. And it has the Transfer software included. Description of WD backup  https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3653
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
    For a more generic answer, you should buy a USB 3.0 device because the new computer you buy will support USB 3.0.  The 3.0 device will still be backwards compatible to the 2.0 ports on your old computer.  When you copy from the old computer to the device, it will copy at 2.0 speed but when you copy to the new computer, it will transfer at 3.0 speed.  However, don't go with a device that uses a USB C connector since the new computer might have but your old computer doesn't so it won't be able to connect to the old computer unless you buy an adapter.

USB devices are always backwards compatible so when buying a new USB device, always buy the latest version.

cats

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
      Thank you so much for your reply.  What is the name of the adapter I would need to buy? TIA

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru

cats

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
        Thank you so much for your response....You have gone above and beyond to help me.  Now on to finding a new desktop computer for home use.  I mainly use it for email, saving articles, streaming and social media.  I love to search for info.  Do you have any suggestions?  I'm still picking your brain....LOL.  Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
        cats,
        Please start a new thread.
        That way the CH index worlds better.  8)

cats

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »
          OK, will do.