Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which is better, Google or Alexa?  (Read 5497 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Which is better, Google or Alexa?
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:57:52 PM »
Which is better, Google or Alexa?
Or Elmer Fudd?
Google Assistant is much better at handling free-form, web-based queries than Alexa is. Alexa tends to be a stickler for wording, and for particular sequences of words. Alexa also leans heavily on Wikipedia for general knowledge queries, while Google's search is more comprehensive.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/amazon-echo-vs-google-home-which-smart-speaker-is-best
Most of you already know you can use Google for searching things on the Internet by using Google voice. Amazon has an electronic device that does about the same thing it is called Alexa and the command to start actually is its name Alexa. For the Google device you say hey Google and then the commander search for something.

After watching a YouTube video, I am no longer sure which is better. But one thing I know for sure, I'm not going to pay hundred dollars for something that already have. Let the explain that last remark. I have both android and Apple devices that I can talk to. In fact, I even got one device that has Microsoft eight on it and it also has the same voice command you find on Windows 10.

But for dictation I always prefer using Dragon Naturally Speaking. Nevertheless, you can do a decent job of dictating with either the Google or the Amazon device if you know how to do it.

Anyhow, that is not really my question. My question is about how to change the the start up command. For some applications it would seem advisable to use a different command to start the device up. For example, you might have somebody in your office or school that his name Alexa and if you called her across the room your device might respond with a good answer..

Of course is nobody named Google. Why in the world ever chose that name is the on me. Really, what is a Google?  :P

So my question is this: Can you change the attention word for either of these devices? Imagine the fun you can have one of these devices you gave it a different name as the attention thing.

Suppose for example you had a thong named  as Elmer Fudd. That can be rather funny if other people were listening to you and they heard you call on Elmer Fudd for weather forecast.  O0

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Which is better, Google or Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
For Alexa you can choose the wake word from these 4 choices: Alexa, Amazon, Echo or Computer.