Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: rEFInd inquiry - How to remove boot items?  (Read 57641 times)

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    rEFInd inquiry - How to remove boot items?
    « on: February 02, 2020, 08:36:45 AM »
    Hi all!

I would like to reduce the number of boot items in my rEFInd list. Especially now before I install Pop! OS. Mint will continue being my main distro. But I like to try other distros.
    Last year I tried Deepin. And although I thought I had formatted its partition, I continue seeing its boot entries in rEFInd :(

I have already run:
    Code: [Select]
    sudo apt-get autoremove

It sure did remove lots of files, but this did not shrink the list of boot items in rEFInd :(

I read that the next thing to do would be to add the names of those boot items to their corresponding blacklists in rEFInd (1. #dont_scan_volumes, 2. #dont_scan_dirs, 3. #dont_scan_files). So I'm trying to do that now, but a few things do not make sense. For instance, the 2 boot items I want to remove have the word deepin (Boot EFI\deepin\grubx64.efi from ESP, and Boot boot\vmlinuz-4.15.0-30deepin-generic from 976 GiB ext4 volume). According to the first one, there's a directory called deepin inside the EFI dir. But this is not true:

So I'm assuming it's just a matter of removing that text from the refind.conf file. However, doing a search in that file for the word deepin did not bring up anything. This means that rEFInd is picking it up from somewhere else, but where then?

Thanks guys

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: rEFInd inquiry - How to remove boot items?
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
    drpeppercan,
    This is the first I have heard about this boot manager.
    Here is the site:
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

This page describes rEFInd, my fork of the rEFIt boot manager for computers based on the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) and Unified EFI (UEFI). Like rEFIt, rEFInd is a boot manager, meaning that it presents a menu of options to the user when the computer first starts up, as shown below. rEFInd is not a boot loader, which is a program that loads an OS kernel and hands off control to it. (Since version 3.3.0, the Linux kernel has included a built-in boot loader, though, so this distinction is rather artificial these days, at least for Linux.) Many popular boot managers, such as the Grand Unified Bootloader (GRUB), are also boot loaders, which can blur the distinction in many users' minds...

I can not give any advice. It is new to me.  :-[

drpeppercan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: rEFInd inquiry - How to remove boot items?
      « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
      Thank you Geek-9pm

I'm hoping there will be someone experienced enough to shed some light on this. Otherwise, it'll take me at least a week to gather that information from the rEFInd website :(

DPC