Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MISSING FILES  (Read 6729 times)

Johnny Blaze

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    MISSING FILES
    « on: June 27, 2020, 07:18:14 AM »
    From begin to end: Yesterday I wanted to watch a video on my computer but noticed that my internetconnection was laggy so I decided to boot into safe mode and see if it would change. When I restarted my computer to boot into safe mode it took a "little" bit longer than usual and I get met with a message stating that it's scanning the disk and looking for/repairing errors. Anyway, after a while it just booted fine and the start screen appeared. I tested the internet and it seemed to be working much better than in normal mode but I noticed that the sound device wasn't working so I couldn't watch any videos. This time I made a little change to the registry; adding a third party sound device to load into safeboot and I went into msconfig and while I had to check original boot I checked load system services only and restarted my device. While it was restarting it suddenly got stuck in a bootloop and didn't get past the logo of the manufacturer.
    I can only access command prompt with the help of a recovery usb and I have no idea what commands to execute. I trıed bcdedit but this doesn't work and
    gives only error messages. So I disconnected my harddrive and connected it to another laptop but the drive letters look empty or occupying just a few megabytes in explorer and all my files and folders seem gone. I'm out of options and trying to recover by using data recovery software.

Anybody has any solutions, suggestions or things that I should try ?     

Hackoo

Hopeful
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MISSING FILES
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »
    If you can get access and execute only the command line :
    Type those commands one by one :
    Code: [Select]
    sfc /scannow
    Type %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log | find /i "[SR]" >> C:\cbslog.txt
    Chkdsk /R /F C:

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
    /f is redundant in your command line...  /r assumes /f and does it on it's own...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:47:20 PM »
    Reading your post it appears the drive with the lost files is from a Laptop Quote "So I disconnected my hard drive and connected it to another laptop but the drive letters look empty or occupying just a few megabytes"

What was the model and make of the Laptop the drive wouldn't boot in?

What is the model of hard drive, like is it a SSD or some other hard drive?

If the drive is an SSD drive then stop immediately and wait further instructions. 

Can you download HDsentinel from here https://www.hdsentinel.com/ and check the drives health.

So long as you were not using security like finger print scan or boot lock password you may be able to recover the files using Reclaime from here https://www.reclaime.com/

If it is a SSD drive then stop immediately and wait further instructions 

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 07:31:20 AM »
    I wonder if he backed up the registry...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "