Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: will switching from win 10 to xp help with old games with new parts  (Read 104234 times)

kagaminerin21

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I'm currently trying to figure out if using windows xp and modern components like a 1060 will allow me to play older games from disc(mgs2/mercenaries 2). Is the operating system the only thing keeping me from running these games or do the graphics card and processor also cause issues when attempting to run them. Currently use win 10 which has a useless compatibility mode.
    Will build new pc if op system is only issue.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: will switching from win 10 to xp help with old games with new parts
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
    Is the operating system the only thing keeping me from running these games or do the graphics card and processor also cause issues when attempting to run them.
    Will build new pc if op system is only issue.

Windows XP will not run on new hardware. You are better looking for a Windows XP computer which still has XP loaded this is recommended as activating XP is a problem now.

Check computer recyclers in your area or look for a 10 year or older gaming computer in garage sales etc.
    Or there is this which has XP drivers      https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-7010-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01LKOZEF0

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

steve17

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: will switching from win 10 to xp help with old games with new parts
      « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 04:44:55 AM »
      I think windows xp won't run on those pc parts. You can still try it out and see if it works, but i wouldn't take that risk. I'd rather just install windows 10 and an emulator for the older games