Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what is " the truth "  (Read 5339 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    what is " the truth "
    « on: October 31, 2020, 06:09:53 AM »
    I admit that when trying to explain and express my frustration with this period of time that seems to have started at the beginning of 2020 and the announcement that an unknown virus had been discovered and it may lead to a pandemic Does anyone recall how few people really understood what that meant? As I write that sentence I wonder how we arrived at this place in our life and at this time? In less than a year that seems in many ways like a lifetime so much has changed and our country seems more divided than I ever thought possible. What is " truth "? Not what is THE TRUTH because the later is much more subjective while a definition of " truth " seems to be more objective. That said, I think the lines have become blurred and if you read in another post of mine talking about the onset of vision problems I think that's just yet another strange coincidence.

Instead of just giving my opinion I think I'd like to ask if anyone else has had similar thoughts and questions about where we are now and how we got here? I discovered when talking with people that I know including family and friends I'm not just surprised I'm blown away at much of what I hear. I find myself thinking about THE DAY that I heard something that changed my behavior immediately; Feb 28 2020. I was on my way home after a monthly massage that I get for a chronic spine issue. Whatever I heard on the radio led me to turn into a branch of my bank and that was excellent good fortune as I locked in an interest rate for 9 months and within days the rates and even the way we did our banking changed and it is still changed. I can not walk into my bank without making an appointment.

I can see this question having many different takes. I'm looking forward to hearing what other's think and their thoughts on how we got here.

The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: what is " the truth "
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
    I've been in the lucky position that I have remained fully employed during the pandemic, since we already all worked from home, my Day to Day has hardly changed at all. Back when this whole thing was gearing up I remember things were slightly busier, because our software is used in some retail stores that sold Ammunition, and apparently a lot of people were "prepping". I guess they planned to shoot the virus.

I actually kind of feel like continuing to work was "doing my part" too as the taxes from my income could go to help people who weren't so lucky and needed the CERB or the recently reworked EI or CRB. I think the most disgusted I've been in recent memory was around March when somebody seriously suggested I should apply for CERB because they were basically approving everybody! Unbelievable. Aside from that being morally reprehensible (I don't need it! I haven't been affected!) They will be going through the records and finding out who actually needed it and who didn't, It's not "free money".

in 2003, SARS was right on the brink of becoming a pandemic before it was contained. Covid-19 is almost like "revenge of SARS", and basically is more contagious and spreads more easily due to the long incubation period. The big issue seems to be that because of that these precautions need to be in place long enough to actually become a new "status quo" which is too long for some people, and people get fatigued and relax the precautions and you get another wave. For the United States, Politics seems to be more heavily involved than it is in most other countries, though that is perhaps beyond the scope of what should be discussed on this forum.

As for "How we got here"? There have been a lot of epidemics and pandemics in the past. We just happen to be living through a pretty bad one at a global scale. And as with those, we will be asking questions about what was done well, what was done poorly, and who did what when and why for decades, not unlike other major historic events.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 07:56:58 AM »
    I am retired so never had to worry about losing my job and so far our financial situation has not been effected by the pandemic.  My oldest son lost his job 2 months ago but that had nothing to do with the pandemic.  He has since been offered and accepted a new position at a higher salary so it was all for the good.  My other 2 adult working children have remained fully employed thru the whole thing so we have been fortunate in that regard.

My wife and I are both in our late 60s and we have a disabled daughter that is immune compromised so have taken the advice to stay home, stay socially distanced and wear a mask in public very seriously.

What is "The Truth"?  I suppose the truth is different for different people.  However, I don't see how anyone can deny the fact that we are in the midst of a serious pandemic that has taken many lives around the world.  Prior to the pandemic, the US was considered to be the best prepared country in the world and yet has handled the response to the pandemic poorly.  I have my opinion as to why that is but won't go into that here.

When terrorists attacked the World Trade Center, US citizens became united against a common enemy regardless of political lines.  We somehow need to become similarly united against this new enemy and overcome our political differences in order see the end of the pandemic.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
      « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:02:33 AM »
      I TRIED hitting the " Thank..." button for both people who shared their experience and thoughts but I got this error:

"An Error Has Occurred!
      Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 2 hours."    I don't know what that means So Thanks to BC-Programmer and Strollin.

I'm sorta house bound today with my vision issue so I'm listening to TV waiting to hear who won the election but I seriously think
       whatever the announce we're in for a long ordeal.

I just hope it doesn't lead to chaos in the streets!

In a way this makes me wonder again what " the truth " is in light of accusations that everything is " fake news " Sewing doubt into the minds of people whether things are true accurate or propaganda has serious consequences and as a nation no one will trust anyone anymore...at least for a long time.
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 08:09:56 AM »
      ...  In a way this makes me wonder again what " the truth " is in light of accusations that everything is " fake news " Sewing doubt into the minds of people whether things are true accurate or propaganda has serious consequences and as a nation no one will trust anyone anymore...at least for a long time.
      I agree with you that trust has been compromised, I am hopeful that if our leadership would provide a calm and consistent message urging unification in order to overcome the virus that trust can be restored.