Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows dosnt start  (Read 4153 times)

troubled comp user

windows dosnt start
« on: August 11, 2004, 12:52:58 PM »
OK i have an old 92 gateway with wut i think is the old version of ms dos n e ways..i was deleting some stuff on it and i think i deleted the wrong thing it was "microsoft publisher" and after i deleted all the files it asked me to restart so i did. when i did windows didnt start so i used my boot disk and it didnt help at all windows still didnt start so i came on this site and i looked for some things and i tryed them like the undelete thng it says that it was a bad command or something like that and so i tryed the GUI=1 thing and it went to te windows 98 loading screen but then it just gos back to the boot disk thing( when i took it out and restarted the comp it dosnt do a thing) it gose to an options screen with the safe mode on it and it says to use the command prompt option and use "scanreg" so i did and it dosent do n e thing and if i use safe mode or normal it gose to the windows 98 loading screen for about 5 mins then it gose back into the ms dos with a message "invalid media type drive C: abort retry,fail" every time. i want to erase every thing on my computer and reinstall windows with a fresh start but i dont know how and i dont know if im using the undelete thing right. if u can will u plz help out a guy in need

merlin_2

Re: windows dosnt start
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 02:29:57 PM »
ok win98 boot disk load it restart-pc on the a:\ cd windows enter this will take you to c:\>type this command scanreg/restore and chose the last good cab file...try it.

tyriek hammon

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 10:24:04 AM »
i have a dell with home xp on it...whenever i turn it on it loads microsoft and restarts..i will put the xp disc in and like he said it willl take me to a safe mode screen and i tried all options for it but it didnt work
it stopped working when we downloaded some windows updates and it sed to restart for them to work
help me

troubled comp user

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »
every time i try and do something like ur suggestion it always says "invalid media type reading drive C" dose this mean i dont have drive C? plz help