Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-RW ,ME , will play won't record  (Read 4513 times)

mark

CD-RW ,ME , will play won't record
« on: February 03, 2006, 06:25:51 PM »
Hi, Compaq Presario 7000us ME 2000 windows here. Hope someone has had this problem. I put a blank disc in to record and it is not recognised as being blank, Ive tried four different brands of disk . I ran the quick restore cd's  which came from Compaq. I was prior to that running windows XP which was installed by a friend of a friend. The PC came with windows Me . Adaptec is the program that came with it to creat cd's . Oh it will not let me change the rc-rw drive alpha . I have deleated both drives from the properties and let the PC put them back which made no difference. Used the auto search for updated drivers and the drivers are already the most updated. Is there any way to check if I have a physical problem with the re writer part . I was able to copy cd's prior to getting some kind of virus which may or may not been part of my problem. My floppy disk will record . Thanks for reading this .

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: CD-RW ,ME , will play won't record
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 09:48:30 PM »
You've got corrupted device files somewhere then.  A reinstallation is the sure fire way to resolve this, although if you can possibly avoid reinstalling ME, so much the better.  Replace it with 98SE or XP!  (If you have a licence for ME, you are automatically licensed for earlier versions of Windows too.)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mark

Re: CD-RW ,ME , will play won't record
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 10:14:44 PM »
Thank you for your response , A bad file some where in there makes sense. Here`s the problem , I have reinstalled Me four or five times. When I had XP and the virus I couldn`t dump the hard drive through the DOS comands , I had a co worker that walked me through that process he is no longer available. So I wonder if I still have things running or maybe just stuck in the hard drive that keep corrupting my Me windows. I think before I reinstall anything I should do that first. I may be calling it the wrong thing , it was through the run programs window . I forget what I had to type in how ever I know it works because I watched the guy that installed the XP deleat the hard drive. So if you've read this far would you be able to tell me the comand , then I`ll know that is or is not  the problem. Thanks again