Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual XP on Win 10  (Read 3796 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Virtual XP on Win 10
    « on: March 21, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »
    Hello

I am trying to install XP as a virtual machine on my Win 10 PC.

This is what I can see in Hyper V: HyperV.jpg

When I try to connect, I get a message on screen asking me to select Start from the Action menu: toStart.jpg

After clicking Start, I get the following message: Virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running.

What should I be doing, please?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Virtual XP on Win 10
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
    Hi

There is several both Hardware and software requires which need to be met before you can run Virtual machines.
    The best way for us to check all this is you running Speccy from here
    https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
    After it runs select File , publish report and then copy the URL here for others to view.
    What I will be looking for is that you are running Windows Pro 64 bit , the amount of free space in memory and the disk drive and that the services are loading to run Virtual machines.
    Or there is this guide
    https://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770
    I think perhaps you haven't enabled hyper v in windows

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »
      Thank you, Lisa

This is the Speccy URL: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7MYYsxa4Xmph86Fz4gfhAbB

If go to Task Manager | Performance tab (attached), it says virtualisation enabled.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 05:14:55 PM »
      You first may need to enable Virtualization in the Dell bios from the speccy report I see you are using a Dell Optiplex 380. The service manual section on Virtualization Support attached shows the settings to change.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 08:17:18 AM »
        In my BIOS under Virtualisation Support, there is no 'Trusted Execution' as appears in your screenshot. There are only two items: Virtualisation, which was enabled, and VT for Direct I/O. That was not enabled, so I have enabled it.

Thanks again.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 02:41:31 PM »
        Hi
        If the is no trusted execution option in means the computer doesn't have a TPM module installed. Which is not required  for running virtual machines.
        All the hardware and Windows 10 seems to be configured correctly to run a Virtual Machine.
        Is the Windows XP image the one supplied with Windows 10? or one you created?
        ― John Bunyan

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 03:41:46 PM »
        Another requirement of the Hyper-V hypervisor is the Intel XD bit/AMD NX bit to enabled Data execution prevention. Those settings can also be found (somewhere) in the BIOS, I expect.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 06:38:00 PM »
          I will see if I can find that in the BIOS - thanks BC_Programmer

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »
            I didn't know, Lisa, that Win XP came with Win 10 but, no, I pointed Hyper-V to the SETUP.EXE file for XP that I have in a folder on my desktop.

I am willing to delete the XP Virtual machine I have created (maybe I have set it up wrong?) and start again. If I did that, in Hyper-V Settings, which would I choose from the Add Hardware (please see screenshot), please (I can't remember what I chose last time)?

Thanks for your patience.

Gizmo

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 07:22:45 PM »
              You may not be able to run Hyper-v as it requires a 64-bit Processor with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), which I think the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 does not have.

You can check your processor yourself, go to this page and download a utility called CoreInfo:
              https://www.howtogeek.com/73318/how-to-check-if-your-cpu-supports-second-level-address-translation-slat/

Here are the Hyper-V system requirements:
              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/reference/hyper-v-requirements
              ======================================================================================
              What you can do for now is use VirtualBox, this only requires that the processor has SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) support, which the Q6600 does.
              I have used this program for a long time, it is very well designed and doesn't have too many hard parts to learn.
              https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 10:00:52 AM »
                Many thanks for your informative reply an the links you have kindly posted. I have downloaded VirtualBox - hopefully, I will have better luck with that.