Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: One for the geeks how to edit system configuration  (Read 93312 times)

Punkieys17

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    One for the geeks how to edit system configuration
    « on: June 22, 2021, 03:15:49 AM »
    When you tick selective startup where is the infornation stored. I will explain why I am asking. Trying to speed up my son's dell studio 1555 laptop I went into system configuration to begin disabling startup items. I noticed the selective startup was ticked and it was not using the normal boot. I innocently selected start normally, apply and restart. The laptop says it can't find the boot device. On enquiring it turns out something had screwed up the boot command and that was how he fixed it. I can access the drive via an external caddy and was wondering if there was a way of accessing the system configuration settings when the disk is not the primary and not one used to boot the laptop.  I am using an older smaller drive that we replaced for the larger one so it us in the same laptop. Keen to see if it's possible as I know it's just unchecking tgat selection that will allow the drive to work on the pc. Therafter I can copy the dive for backup and go about rebuilding the correct boot command