Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Macrium Reflect Free cloning questions  (Read 9098 times)

mjt4283

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Macrium Reflect Free cloning questions
    « on: September 16, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »
    I'm a newcomer at this forum. I found this excellent tutorial about cloning with Macrium Reflect Free, and still have a few questions.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001914.htm

Setup:

- Win10 desktop with a 128GB SSD drive for OS and programs, without partitions and ~50GB used.
    - Brand new 120GB SSD drive in an external enclosure connected to an USB port.

Questions:

- Can the 128GB drive be cloned to the 120GB drive?

- If yes, is the cloned 120GB drive bootable?

- Are there extra steps needed to achieve the above?

Thanks in advance.

ngc2392

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Macrium Reflect Free cloning questions
      « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »
      1. yes, sometimes software will automatically reduce the size of cloned size. Or it will ask that during the process.
      2. yes, remember, you are cloning the disk
      3. well, i don't know "all" the software for cloning but these types of programs tend to be kinda user friendly. at least, nowadays...

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 10:03:10 PM »
      In order to put a 128GB drive onto a 120GB drive you may have to shrink the volume in Windows Disk Management. Additionally to mention if you happened to have same labeled capacity drives, there can be small differences between 128GB drives to where one manufacturer is slightly smaller or larger than the other, same goes for Hard Drives.

To fix the issue you shrink the largest C: partition volume down by the amount that allows it to fit the smaller drive and leave the other partitions alone in their small preset sizes. For drives that are larger, volumes are created and then there is unused space. The unused space can be ignored if small and not really usable or you can create a partition and use that unused space as say the X: drive etc.

As far as the external drive being bootable... it can be tricky with Windows as Windows wants to boot from internal drives. The external drive that takes the image, if that drive was one that could be removed from the external enclosure and mounted internally... Then Windows would be happy with it, but it would have to be connected via SATA port and not USB.

mjt4283

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 03:04:46 PM »
        Thanks for the responses.

My questions were specifically about using Macrium Reflect Free. This video answered them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCENfs87F4

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 04:11:09 PM »
        Bottom line answer...no matter what tool you use you cannot clone a larger drive to a smaller drive...shrunk or not.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mjt4283

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 04:10:39 PM »
          As I stated in my original post, I wanted to close "a 128GB SSD drive for OS and programs, without partitions and ~50GB used" to a 120GB SSD drive.

I was able to do just that.