Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 11 Upgrade  (Read 4699 times)

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Windows 11 Upgrade
    « on: June 29, 2021, 07:44:09 AM »
    I used the "PC Health Check" to see if my computer is compatible. It said it isn't. I have a ASRock A320M R4.0 motherboard. I went into the bios to check for ATM, it showed it. It was in Auto mode. I tried the Health Check again and it still says my computer is not compatible. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Windows 11 Upgrade
      « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 08:28:15 AM »
      I would hang tight, and wait for updates to the PC health checker.. You've got at least 4 months before you need to worry about it, and in that time the requirements might change. It would make sense for Microsoft to use the tool primarily to gather information about what PC hardware is checking for support, and progressively expand the officially supported hardware in the tool as release approaches. I would be shocked if Win 11 did not support your motherboard on release.
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

sloan448

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
        Thanks,
        I figured it was a bit too early.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
        I'm of the mind that they've majorly flubbed the requirements information.

A List of minimum requirements and supported processors was published for hardware vendors- eg, this is what Acer/Dell/etc. can use. This list is very restrictive in that it is limited to CPUs made in the last 3 years or so, which is fitting if the list is designed to limit the hardware being used for new PCs with Windows 11 preinstalled when it is released. These are published earlier because obviously those companies need that information to design their new PCs. Consumer requirements (eg minimum requirements to upgrade/install it) usually aren't finalized until closer to release.

I think somehow marketing people at MS have latched onto that hardware vendor list as dictating the not-yet-published consumer requirements, as that is what they've been repeating and what the "health check" tool is checking for. It's very confusing because the same hardware vendor requirements for Windows 10 are equally exclusive and definitely don't match the systems actually capable of running Windows 10.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.