Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor msg ‘no signal detected’  (Read 10952 times)

Nickiw

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Monitor msg ‘no signal detected’
    « on: November 01, 2021, 08:48:02 PM »
    Hello - I have a Lenovo 310s desktop.  I contacted Microsoft for help when my monitor went black. They said that the problem would be a bad cable or the monitor itself.  I purchased a new cable and that didn’t help.  I purchased a new monitor and got error msgs ie no signal detected.  I contacted Microsoft again and was told that I probably need a new video card.  I am having trouble finding someone to fix it.  Is this something that a novice could replace?  If I get a new computer, I need to transfer data but I don’t think that can be done without a monitor?  Would anyone have advice?  Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Monitor msg ‘no signal detected’
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 05:28:01 AM »
    Yes, replacing the display adapter is very simple. You just unplug the power supply, open the case, remove the cable between the display adapter and the monitor, unscrew the existing card, insert the new one, screw it back into place, close the case, reattach the cable and power supply. It really is that easy. I'm sure there are videos available on Youtube if you do a Google search. The only caveat is you should touch the metal case before touching anything inside the computer to discharge any potential static buildup (especially in a carpeted room).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Monitor msg ‘no signal detected’
    « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 08:12:44 PM »
    Reaching beyond your specific question, and reviewing your original problem, I'm not entirely convinced your issue will be resolved by installing a new video card.

In particular, after doing a few searches regarding that model, I am finding a number of people having the exact symptoms you have described- one day the machine just didn't start and wouldn't show anything on-screen. What they found was that there was that the factory-installed thermal paste on the CPU was dried up and reapplying the thermal paste fixed it. That process is more involved than replacing a graphics card, unfortunately.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.