Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware causes 3 external drives to wipe?  (Read 10794 times)

moondoggy1111

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hardware causes 3 external drives to wipe?
    « on: November 07, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
    I had an issue with my PC recently (Windows 10) that required a clean install.  There were some issues with my old SSD so I bought a new one for the install.  Soon after I installed Windows both my old SSD and a 2 TB HDD in an external dock were wiped clean (no readable file system).  After doing numerous virus scans I did not another clean Windows install.  This morning I had an external USB connected 3 TB Seagate drive get wiped wiped again with no readable file system.  I did virus scans on the Windows SSD and found nothing.  Can this be hardware issue?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hardware causes 3 external drives to wipe?
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »
    Unlikely a hardware issue, more likely software. It would take software a long time to delete the whole of a 2 TB usb drive.
    I suggest checking the drives for data with a drive hex editor like this one.

https://www.diskgenius.com/how-to/hdd-data-recovery.php

This will show if the files are still visible , allow you to display the drives contents as hex and ascii and run a file recovery.

Another program which may show why the drives are getting erased is HDsentinel

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan