Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Selecting multiple files in File Explorer  (Read 18752 times)

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Selecting multiple files in File Explorer
    « on: February 15, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »
    I am struggling to find a way of selecting multiple files in File Explorer, so that they can be either deleted or mass copied / moved.   The method in Windows 7 of selecting one file-name, pressing SHIFT and then selecting a file-name further down the list doesn't work in Windows 10.   It still only selects the first file.   Anyone have any idea how to get around this problem?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Selecting multiple files in File Explorer
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
    That same functionality should still be there - it never changed. What happens if you click on a file then press CTRL and click on other files - do they all highlight?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:12:58 PM »
    Computer hope has an article on how to select multiple files --> https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000771.htm

If Shift method is not working, you can also try to select multiple files with the mouse. Ctrl and click will allow you to select multiple files one at a time in any order, Ctrl + A will select all the files / folders, etc.
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 08:27:38 PM by 2x3i5x »

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 07:44:57 AM »
      That same functionality should still be there - it never changed. What happens if you click on a file then press CTRL and click on other files - do they all highlight?
      It doesn't work by using CTRL instead of SHIFT either.   Only the first file is highlighted, not the group of files.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 07:47:49 AM »
        Computer hope has an article on how to select multiple files --> https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000771.htm

If Shift method is not working, you can also try to select multiple files with the mouse. Ctrl and click will allow you to select multiple files one at a time in any order, Ctrl + A will select all the files / folders, etc.
        Ctrl + A doesn't do anything.   Still only the first file clicked is selected.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 07:56:06 AM »
          The methods given at Computer Hope don't work.   Dragging the mouse over multiple files just tries to move the first file somewhere, instead of selecting all the files.   Opening a folder and then clicking 'Edit' doesn't do anything, i.e. it doesn't produce a drop-down menu.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
            Whenever I select the a file in File Explorer, regardless of whether I'm trying to do something with that file or trying to make it the first of a set of files, the PC comes up with a message that says "Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start (24)", even though I wasn't trying to run Word.   I don't know whether this is connected to, or the cause of, the problem above, whereby it doesn't let me select multiple files.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 08:07:07 AM »
            Okay, just for a lark please try this: open an explorer window, click on the view tab and deselect the "preview pane"

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 03:48:24 PM »
            ^^^
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 04:07:49 AM »
              Okay, just for a lark please try this: open an explorer window, click on the view tab and deselect the "preview pane"
              The only way I can deselect the preview pane is to select the detail pane instead, which I have done.   This appears to work - at the moment.  Thank you for this suggestion.

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 05:17:51 AM »
              👍

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 04:20:21 AM »
                I confirm that this solution is working permanently.