Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Data recovery formatted external drive  (Read 25105 times)

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Data recovery formatted external drive
    « on: February 16, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »
    I accidentally formatted an external hard drive.  I immediately disconnected it from my computer so nothing has been saved onto it since the mishap.
    I have found many software programs out there but I just don't know which one to use. 
    Can you give me suggestions for a good 1x use program?
    The others I'd found want you to pay monthly, annually etc.  I just need help this one time.
    I did use Disk Drill but I am missing some files still, after it did the scan.
    Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Data recovery formatted external drive
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 05:24:50 AM »
    Was it a full format? If so, as I understand it a full format on Windows Vista and later will wipe the files: https://www.partitionwizard.com/disk-recovery/quick-format-vs-full-format.html#:~:text=In%20Windows%20with,magnetism%20on%20disk

Having said that, you can try something like Recuva and see what happens: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva 

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 06:58:42 AM »
      Thanks for responding but as I mentioned I was able to recover some of the files but the program that I used did not recover all.  These programs, like Recuva which has poor reviews, all want you to pay monthly, annually etc.  If anyone has used another program themselves, or knows someone who has that worked well for them, please let me know.  The files that were not recovered were files used in Camtasia that are specific to their program.  Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 08:03:41 AM »
      Recuva has a free version.

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 09:00:43 AM »
        Okay never mind.  I will figure it out myself.  This used to be a great resource for me but you don't read my posts, so I will find help someplace else. Recuva has bad reviews, as I'd mentioned earlier and when I tried it, it kept quitting "unexpectedly".
        I'd asked for a response from someone that has used a program that they recommended or heard from someone that used it, was good.  I  can google and get the type of information that you responded with.
        Have a nice day.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 09:21:03 AM »
        I'm sorry you're not happy with my response - truly.  But I've been using Recuva for many years and have always been very happy with it - as has everyone to whom I've recommended it. Having said that, I never tried it myself on a formatted disc.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 03:51:02 PM »
        Your refund check is in the mail...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 02:07:10 AM »
        A lot of software has bad reviews. Recuva in particular gets bad reviews because Piriform, the company that publishes/develops it, also makes CCleaner which has been caught doing a number of shady things. That distrust naturally spills over to their other products.

Recovering a formatted drive is a bit more involved than just searching for deleted files. I don't think this isn't something that anybody is going to do reliably with some off-the-shelf software solution.

The main issue is that formatting a drive overwrites the existing File Table information with a "fresh copy". Whatever it overwrote is now gone, excepting advanced data forensics. This means that, for the most part, recovery is going to get back the files- but you won't be able to get the filenames.

Now, that said, If I had a drive I'd accidentally formatted that I wanted to recover, the first thing I would probably try is TestDisk. This is open source software, and doesn't try to charge you or have any sort of trial nonsense.

Speaking of reviews, Disk Drill appears to have some particularly bad reviews, With many users saying that it finds "fake" files that never existed on the drive, or finds "random" files and purports to recover them, but they are gibberish.

I've decided to check it out, and ran it on a Virtual machine and was surprised it was able to find hundreds of deleted photos, given I've never put photos on the VM. Naturally, attempting to recover them requires purchasing the product, I suspect this may very well be scamware. I wouldn't trust it based onm what I've seen alone. There are lots of products that attempt to prey on desperate people searching for a way to undelete files or unformat their hard drives, unfortunately, and this approach where it shows you all sorts of files is done because hopeful users will see the photos, or documents, or whatever files and zero in on that and go "ah ha! Those must be the precious photos I lost!/My TPS reports/My pictures of bears with no clothes on/etc."

I suspect they've flooded review sites with positive reviews in some manner. Some of the 5-star reviews don't make much sense. This one was my favourite:

I hired a drone with a card that was not empty. I asked the leaser of the drone about the content in the card. "OMG, that card failed and was I was to erase it. I need the footage on it. Can you save it?"

Of course, I said. I have this tool ... DISK DRILL. I started using the software and I am still amazed. Recovered over 100GB from a 64GB card.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.