Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extremely strange connection issue, Im completely baffled  (Read 23359 times)

kwb4

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Extremely strange connection issue, Im completely baffled
    « on: June 11, 2022, 10:15:43 PM »

Members
        1 posts

Local time:12:11 AM

Posted Today, 12:10 AM

Around May 25th 2022, my desktop PC (PC 1 below) started having issues with not loading certain websites, not being able to install certain software successfully, and not being able to download things completely. There didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I googled it, went through the usual general fixes for such issues, and then gave up and just decided to reinstall windows. This didn't work, much to my surprise, so I messed around a bit more and noticed that the issue could be replicated with certain sites/downloads/programs.

Issues I could replicate (across ALL browsers. firefox, edge, and chrome):

1. Udemy.com would load very slowly and sometimes partially, and then clicking on the login link would take me to a blank white page and nothing would load.

2. When logged into youtube and switching between subscriptions and home or any other section on the sidebar the red bar at the top of the page would load about 3/4 of the way and then freeze and not make any further progress.

3. When downloading certain programs such as GIGABYTE RGB Fusion 2.0 the download would get to 2-5% and then freeze and eventually fail.

4. About 25% of the time when I would search something on google and click on a search result, either nothing would happen or it would load very slowly, then the next time I clicked on that link it would work exactly as expected and load the website quickly and normally.

Basically all the issues seemed to be some background process hanging or freezing, I never experienced a lack of responsiveness with my mouse or any of the windows. I assumed it was some weird low level hardware issue that I did not feel like trying to fix, and I wanted to upgrade anyways so I went and got an HP Omen 30L from Best Buy. It worked great and I thought the issue was clearly some hardware issue with PC 1. Later I wanted to replace the case and motherboard on the Omen to try some overclocking with better cooling and I ended up deciding to just return it and build a better PC for a similar price. I then built PC 2 listed below, and to my utter shock, I experienced the same EXACT problem as PC 1. I tried multiple times to reinstall windows, tried different browsers again, tried just using a local windows account after a fresh install and not downloading ANY programs and just using edge. Nothing. Works. All the same issues above persist on PC 1 and PC 2 no matter what I do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please let me know if you need any additional information and I will be as specific as possible.

PC 1 (has issue):
    OS - Windows 10
    Motherboard - MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151
    CPU - i9 9900KF
    GPU - GTX 1080 ti
    Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws Series V 16gb 3600mhz
    SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 1tb Sata 2.5"
    PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

PC 2 (has issue):
    OS - Windows 11
    Motherboard - Asrock x570 pro4 am4
    CPU - Ryzen 9 5900x
    GPU - RTX 3080 ti
    Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws Series V 16gb 3600mhz (same type as PC 1, but I have tried other ram in this PC and the issues persisted)
    SSD - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2
    PSU - EVGA Supernova 850 G6, 80 Plus Gold 850W

HP Omen 30L (doesn't have issue):
    OS - Windows 11
    CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x
    GPU - GRTX 3080
    Ram - 16gb DDR4 3200mhz
    SSD - 1tb m.2

Dell XPS 15 9560 (doesn't have issue):
    OS - Windows 10
    CPU - i7 7700HQ
    GPU - GTX 1050
    Ram - 16gb DDR4 2400mhz
    SSD - 512gb m.2

elliot15

• Experience: Guru
      Re: Extremely strange connection issue, Im completely baffled
      « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:31:17 AM »
      What case does PC 2 have, is that also new? Did the problem occur (on the new build), right after you completed it? Or did it occur after you applied your overclock? Have you tried pushing back your memory timings? What kind of temperatures are you getting on your CPU (specifically)?