Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Desparate Help - how to install PC HDD  (Read 17569 times)

aquastan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Need Desparate Help - how to install PC HDD
    « on: July 11, 2022, 09:36:38 PM »
    Hi all, i m seeking help with installing a new HDD on my desktop - I bought new HDD and dont know what to do,
    Would appreciate, someone kindly help.
    if someone connects with me i can explain what my real issue is  - or maybe for some it may not be an issue -
    but im technologically Challenged  :o
    PLease and Thank you
    Much Appreciated !!!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Need Desparate Help - how to install PC HDD
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 05:17:04 AM »
    Please explain your problem in this thread.

aquastan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »
      Hello Allan, thank you for your response, Much appreciated. - i have never done this before and its quite intimidating fixing my PC, amd im lost -
       I'll begin with my spec :
       System specs – HP Pavillion 500-369 Desktop PC / Model G4A9A4AA -/ motherboard -Orchid S  / chipset AMD A78 FCH/ Processor AMD A10 6700 / 8GB (4 + 4) RAM PC3-12800 Mb/s Type DDR3-1600 / Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT635 / 2tb HDD SATA 7200rpm SEAGATE BARRACUDA Model ST2000DM001./ ATX tower / 300Watts PSU.

I had Windows 8 on this now dead HDD,  originally in 2014 when I bought the PC - and then somewhere down the line it changed to window10 and I got the windows 10 automatically online from windows updates – so NOW...I don’t know the windows Installation Key . Also I don’t have any back-up discs – NOTHING - nothing to work with. do i have to buy a new windows 10 licence ?

all i have now is Just a Brand New HDD Desktop WD 2TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 36.5inches...and i dont know what my next steps are supposed to be in terms of softwares yes / no  - partion - no Operating System - if i shove the new HDD in the Tower,,then what next  ??? etc etc.etc ......im not familiar with these procedures, - technologically challenged - never done them before .

thats where i need some help and guidance.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:46:13 PM »
      Here is an excellent guide in how to download and install Windows: https://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

You will then need to download and install the appropriate drivers for your system. You can get most of them from HP - start with the chipset driver.

Then you can install your preferred apps / software.
      Moving forward, you should create disk images on a regular basis.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
      Hi aquastan

This is a utube video on swapping out the hard drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxT_qPzle3s

As the computer was running Windows 10 there is no need to purchase a new License. When you install from the pen drive or DVD when asked for a license key select I don't have a Windows key. Leave the computer disconnected from the internet until the install is complete. After windows starts connect to the internet and windows will activate with a digital license.

Then download the drivers from here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-500-desktop-pc-series/6879020/model/7084018

And install starting with chipset INF

Install Windows updates

Then you are good to enjoy your new Hard drive.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

aquastan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:41:24 PM »
        Thank you Lisa_maree...and Thank you Allan !!!

Okay.....Ill be asking a lot of silly questions please bear with me :-[ ….so I ‘ve read and read all the instructions you’ve both given me,  to the T, and am almost  60% clear with what, where and how to begin…

…..BUT…… from the “little knowledge” that I have -  when and where does the incidence arise of formatting the hardrive ? ???  or I don’t have to be bothered with that  ??

To reiterate, Just so I understood  you guys correct…. ….i just screw in / install the HDD - wire in the SATA cables accordingly - then screw the Case back on, then  plug in the power whislst “following the steps of putting in the usb drive – hitting ESC “ -  and rolling from that point on  …… did I get this right so far  ??? or am gone off the rails  :o

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 08:47:33 AM »
        Sounds like you've got it.

You asked about formatting. During the Windows installation process you'll be asked where you want to install. Since it's a new drive the screen should only show one location of unallocated space. Select that and click on "new". It's been a while since I've done a new install, so I'm not sure inf the formatting will begin automatically or if you will be prompted to format. Either way, it will be pretty straight forward.

Also, there is a chance you will need to adjust a bios setting if the system doesn't boot to the USB drive. We can walk you through that if needed.

aquastan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 12:59:27 PM »
          Hello Allan and Lisa_maree

Okay im back from 2014 but I lost the DeLorean and Marty   ;).............

So kind folks it all went thru Smooth ( like Greased Lightning ) (| (| (| , working in my tower on my tower from 3am to 4am. mission accomplished , due to “Great Instructions and Guidance” from you guys –and-following it all to the “T”-

(lim/ (Thank You) x→0−1x = −∞Thank You∞ - ) x 10000000000  :)  :) :)  :)  :)
          (lim/ (Thank You) x→0−1x = −∞Thank You∞ - ) x 10000000000   :)  :)  :) :)   :)

But I have some observations to share –
          …..I didn’t have to install any drivers ( well becoz I was scared to do so) I connected to the internet from START… when it all was over, I impatiently jumped onto the internet, to check out sound and video –to see if all was ok – and it was Ok (I guess) - as the FIRST thing I did was watched youtube- the "Hollies" sing "long cool woman in a black dress" (IMMORTAL) and danced on my Head…

So….. I don’t have to enter in any of the drivers right  ??????? eeeeeeeek  :P…..
          im not confident on how to put the drivers in :-\ :'( - SPECIALLY for the chipset driver , Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (under Audio), Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Driver (under Network). graphics driver, too – im sacred I may mess up the machine. :o :o :o :o

Any advice on how and what I should do next ? – or anything else that i should be looking into ?

Please !!  and Thank you once again - Your Help is Much Appreciated   (| |V|:-* :-* :D ;) :)   8)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 08:19:16 PM »
          Hi again

If you download HP support assistant from HP and install it. When you run it it will diagnose the computer and update any drivers automatically.

This is a link to get the software  https://support.hp.com/nz-en/help/hp-support-assistant
          You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan