Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can only boot to safe mode  (Read 42284 times)

dareecha maksee

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Can only boot to safe mode
    « on: October 15, 2022, 04:37:53 AM »
    Hi
    I'm helping a friend and his pc can only boot to safe mode. In safe mode I ran Malwarebytes and pulled out two vundo trojans and removed them. Ran AVG in the command mode and nothing found but several files were locked and were not checked. Ran spybot and removed another trojan. Don't remember the name of that one. W32 something. When you ask the pc to boot normal, it tries to boot, you get the windows XP window but goes back to the menu for safe mode. If I go to the safe mode with networking, I can get on the internet. Can't run superantispyware remover because I can't install it int the safe mode. He's running on Win XP SP3. Ran HJT. Log attached.

Not sure if I should be here or in the spyware,virus, malware forum. Should I open a thread in each forum?
    Thank
    jili

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can only boot to safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 03:55:49 PM »
    Things to check

Is the computer Date and time correct.
    Untick  all the programs from the windows startup group you can do this with msconfig in safe mode.

If you start in safe mode and check device manager is there any devices with exclimation marks.

Is the harddrive free from errors you could use MHDD to test  avaliable from here  https://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

I would also do a visual inspection, are all the capacitors ok none bulging.

Please come back with any results thankyou.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan