Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

BBC Climate Change Experiment?

What? No thanks.
4 (44.4%)
What? Sound's intresting.
4 (44.4%)
I'm already part of it.
1 (11.1%)
Was a part of it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: BBC Climate Change Experiment  (Read 10306 times)

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    BBC Climate Change Experiment
    « on: February 19, 2006, 05:30:08 AM »
    Thought i'd make an un-official forum about the experiment so you can post your own thought's about it,
    pro's and con's and maybe even... Consperacy's....  :o

Basicaly from what i have read about it is that a University in England thought it would be a good idea to carry out there climate test's on our PC's, and use our un-used CPU power... To help save earth from global warning!!!, well i made that bit up, i'm not exactly sure what the point is. But it sound's like it's all for a good cause.  :P

And for those with BBC4 there will be a progam about it all tomorow night (20th Feb)

Link: http://www.climateprediction.net/
    Forum: http://www.climateprediction.net/board/

Mr_President

Re: BBC Climate Change Experiment
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 10:04:41 AM »
    Thought I would make a poll about the experiment so you can post your own thoughts about it, pro's and con's and maybe even... conspiracies....  :o

Basically, from what I have read about it, is that a University in England thought it would be a good idea to carry out their climate test's on our PC's, and use our un-used CPU power to help save Earth from global warming!! Well I made that bit up, I am not exactly sure what the point is. But it sounds like it's all for a good cause.  :P

And for those with BBC4 there will be a progam about it all tomorow night (20th Feb)

Link: http://www.climateprediction.net/
    Forum: http://www.climateprediction.net/board/

I don't see the point with all of the money spent already on satellites which do all this.

Population increase produces warming so population decrease would diminish warming.

If the UK level of population were that of 1086, when there were only 4 million people instead of the current 60 million, warming would decrease by a factor of 15.

If this population level were to be applied to the rest of the planet the factor of 15 would apply globally.

If people only lived in countries where central heating and air-conditioning were unnecessary then fuel usage would decline dramatically.

If the planet were only inhabited by the Spanish and only Spain existed there would be a net reduction on a massive scale.

If the planet was only inhabited by 5000 people the reduction in warming would be dramatic.

Which conspiracy are you alluding to?
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 10:10:46 AM by Mr_President »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 11:28:17 AM »
    Never heard of it. Sounds interesting enough.

Flame

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:03:16 PM »
      Which conspiracy are you alluding to?
      None, just when asked my friend if he would join and told him it was a worldwide program that make's a load of calculation's on he’s computer while he's away then sends them back to the government, he's immediate reaction was "f*** that!"  :) Just thought I'd say post your conspiracy's for a laugh... But you never know... :P

Anyway's, anyone that believes this experiment is genuine and your thinking of downloading, beware, these test's can be quite stressful on your computer when running at 100%(while your idle). If you have a poor cooling system like myself and are worried about the wear and tear, you can download a program that edits your CPU usage of programs, sound's cool… But it has to be done through registry keys and when I tried it myself it ended up slowing down the CPU on other programs too. which can be edited to be put right again... But then with all this editing and testing is giving me a headache and I’m ready to give up.
      http://bbc.cpdn.org/forum_thread.php?id=600

Currently there is 42996 machines all hooked up to this experiment! Imagine the power…
      I’ll post a screenshot of my own project if you guys want, if not then just tell me to shut up instead.
      « Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 02:08:22 PM by Ted2 »

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 02:36:12 PM »

It looks alot nicer than that, got impatient tying to make the file size fit  :-X

As you can see i have spent 17 hours on there, and im still in the year 1921.
        I think the average time for someone to complete one test is around 5 months!
        Depending on the power of your computer.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:38:45 PM »
        Now I'm confused... What's the point of this?

Flame

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:34:46 AM »
          This is a much more friendly site, should have posted this insted: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/hottopics/climatechange/
          It's a experiment that is trying to predict the future, but becuase there is so meny possibilities there need to be alot of expeiment's done.

Which is why this program is aimed at our own home computer's, to carry out an individual test on each.
          On the screenshot I posted the graphic (spinning globe) of my experiment, you can toggle diferent view's by pressing the key's displayed on the left panel.  From my graphic I can see that my earth is a little hot in temprature in comparison to our own earth.

My earth's aim is to see if it can keep spinning and keep the human population alive until 2080 (that's when the experiment end's and is sent back to the people that made it).
          Example: There was huge earth quake on 1951, how does this effect the year 2002?
          The graphic also by defualt sets as a screensaver, and can be clicked, dragged and span around, or whatever you like.
          But the graphic is un-important you don't have to sit there and observe it, you literaly just open the program, minimize, and let it do it's thing.

Also if your worried about it slowing down your computer, I have not noticed any drop in speed at all. As for lag in computer games there is a pause and resume feature by pressing "Activity". The "Suspend" button does not seem to work for me.  >:(

Incase your wondering, i'm not from the BBC or any other company, I simply just turned on the TV and it was on the new's and decided i'd help, and let anyone that's intrested know about this event.  :)
          My exlpanation may not be correct, i just guessed from downloading and reading forum post's.
          Check out the map: http://bbc.cpdn.org/usermap.php  :o
          -------
          Anyone know what the *censored* the credit's are used for? :-? I searched there FAQ and could not find anything...
          « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:09:27 AM by Ted2 »

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
            « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
            Telling people to shut up is Dilbert's province.

Sheesh. I tell one person (Mr President) to shut up because he was off-topic (WAY off-topic) and he labels me "The kind of person who would do that". An unfair generalization.

Anyway, I've never heard of this, but it sounds interesting.
            "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »
              So that was you? STOP SENDING ME EMAILS!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
              « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »
              So, at this rate, when will the world end?  ;)

Flame

R0SS

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 04:36:50 PM »
              Isn't there going to be a comet that's going to wipe us out in like 2030 or something?

Something to look forward too.

R0SS

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 06:30:58 PM »

AH!  :o

Flame

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »
                So that was you? STOP SENDING ME EMAILS!

HA! I made my Email hidden! You can't write to me! I win!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 03:37:45 AM »
                  Isn't there going to be a comet that's going to wipe us out in like 2030 or something?

:)
                  I doubt it. If the date was known, either no-one would be told or everyone would be told.
                  « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:39:43 AM by Ted2 »

R0SS

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 04:03:15 AM »

:)
                  I doubt it. If the date was known, either no-one would be told or everyone would be told.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/10/03/asteroid.shtml

Read it and weep
                   :'(
                  R0SS

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                    • Me
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 04:29:12 AM »
                  Loser. I am going to turn you into a toad.

[highlight][size=24]ZAP![/size][/highlight]
                  *falls off his chair*  Mr P actually makes a sensible and funny post!!!
                  Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 08:01:03 AM »
                    Where did you hear about this webpage? Because I have not seen this mentioned in any local New's to me. it's a prediction that could happen.
                    Or this article could just be two scientist arguing about how big in metres the waves will be so he decides to make a post  ::)

There's too meny maybe's here, we can't have half of the population reading the website then saying "screw going to work tomorrow, I'm gunna' go buy everything in the shop i can find then just have a massive party and get completely wasted"
                    And the other half carrying on as normal. That just don't seem right...  :-?

But personally I don't believe we would be told at all, not at least until 2 days before.
                    let me explain.
                    Imagine (try to not imagine too hard, it's a bit freaky) an official announcement by Bush, "earth will be struck by a comet within the next 5 year's which will kill all life on this planet"
                    That guy I mentioned before, "screw working", what if he was a bus driver, even more, the company manager? there's lots of things we depend on that could possibly become out of use, due to the factories, shops becoming deserted.
                    But not everyone might want to party, they might want to spend time with there family and loved ones, and often our family's live far apart. Phone's dead, no busses/planes running, no petrol...

I'm not saying I believe there would be complete anarchy, I think the majority of us are more intelligent than that.
                    But it's another possibility.

A little extreme I know.
                    And I did twist your word's a little there, you said 25 years, I said 5, which would make a difference in peoples reaction's. probably wouldn’t make a difference for me though, being the lazy guy that I am I'd probably just say "oh what the *censored*, 25 years is a long time, I'll do that thing I wanted to do some other time.." then the reminder comes up on the New's "1 Year..."    :-X

Still, i don't think we would be informed about it.
                    « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:59:02 AM by Ted2 »

R0SS

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
                    i agree it would be really silly telling the world that we are all going to die soon.

I dont know.

Suppose we foind out in 24 years.

R0SS