Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning with Macrium  (Read 17267 times)

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Cloning with Macrium
    « on: January 03, 2024, 07:31:22 AM »
    I have the free version of Macrium. I cloned the drive on my desktop to a solid-state drive. When I install the solid state drive it isn't detected. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I can see all of the files on the solid-state drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cloning with Macrium
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 08:25:00 AM »
    As I recall, in order to use Macrium to make a usable clone to an SSD you need the paid version.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 01:27:00 PM »
    First check the SSD drive manufacture doesn't have software to clone the drive if so try using that.
    Google you computer and make sure it doesn't have boot sector protect. Some Lenovo and HP's have this feature and this needs to be turned off to allow writing a new boot sector

In Macrium you need to clone the drive not raw copy. If you raw copy, the drive won't boot. Make sure  Macrium is coping all the partitions not just the c drive.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 09:53:43 AM »
      I downloaded the Samsung cloning software. I tried cloning the drive. It said it failed. I changed the drive out anyway. It booted up and worked fine. The only thing that wouldn't work was Microsoft Edge. I changed to Chrome. It is amazing how fast a ssd is compared to a mechanical drive. Thanks for the help.