Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Have tried everything to get rid of Explorer.exe application error  (Read 10649 times)

CaptainHaddock

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    I am not sure exactly what has caused this issue, either a bad crash of a game or something to do with Windows 11 but I am getting at random times:

"Explorer.exe application error: the instruction at <memory address> referenced memory at <memory address> could not be written."

I have tried multiple solutions to this, including a memory diagnostic, restarting Windows explorer, running DISM.exe or sfc scannow, disabling fast startup, a System restore, a hard drive check, but nothing has helped. The problem does go away sometimes after one of these steps, but seems to come back randomly.

The System Restore I tried seems to have made things even worse, and seems to have corrupted my Windows and other files.

This is a brand new computer, I cannot imagine that we have some memory issue all of a sudden.  I cannot imagine the latest Windows update has caused this.  This seems to have started when an EA Play game crashed and the computer would not restart.

Anyhow, I have tried everything, I am pretty lost at this point, any computer hope would be appreciated!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Have tried everything to get rid of Explorer.exe application error
    « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 12:42:37 PM »
    Have you tried using a efferent Browser? Or even a alder version of Explorer?

What other browser is available on her Windows 10?
    Answer: Aside from Google Chrome, other popular browsers available for Windows 10 include Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera. Each of these browsers offers a unique set of features and advantages, so it is important to consider which features are most important to you before deciding on a browser.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 07:40:34 PM »
    Hi

Please download Speccy and run it.

After the program has profiled your computer select file , publish report

You will get a url which if you copy here we can check the configuration of the computer.

Also check what programs you have starting especially if you have more than 1 antivirus program.
    the above report will show this anyway.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

CaptainHaddock

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 02:50:19 AM »
      Windows Explorer is the problem, not Internet Explorer, I think you got them confused when you mention a browser.

I tried to diagnose this with a clean boot, but I can't even do a clean boot, it is just running the programs that I uncheck when I hit DISABLE ALL and APPLY.

Hitting F8 does not clean boot either.

Trying to disable Fast Startup does not work.

I am leaning towards the theory that my whole shutdown and restart process is somehow broken, since all the errors seem connected to that issue.

With this in mind, any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 05:55:23 AM »
      You said you ran SFC ? ?,,,run it agaun.Report any errors...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 05:40:29 PM »
      Here are some other file managers:

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/windows-11-file-explorer-alternatives

Try One Commander.  :)

CaptainHaddock

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 05:38:59 AM »
        For those still interested in this thread, I think I have isolated and located the main issue causing this error message:

1. After extensive hardware and malware diagnostics this week with a computer professional, we have ruled out these things as issues, everything checks out fine.

2. I then ran into this thread on reddit which seemed very interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/1aeau3s/explorerexe_application_error_popup/

So taking advice from that thread and after running many many different tests, I was able to fix this error consistently and only by disabling GAME INPUT HOST SERVICES from the taskbar menu

So it appears that the recent Windows update has conflicted with this Microsoft Gaming App and caused this error message, I am convinced that they need to fix this with their next Windows update. This latest update was even supposed to address similar issues but obviously failed.

Does anyone know how Game Input Host Services becomes active or installed in the first place?

I am pretty sure that Game Input Host Services is related to both the Xbox App and the Xbox Controllers, so I'm not sure if it was installed in one of those ways or it comes already with Windows 11.

In the meanwhile, I don't want to disable Game Input Host Services every time I shut down or restart, does anyone have any other interesting ideas for fixes based on what I've said here?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 10:32:09 PM »
        Do

Control ALT Delete

or open task manager

Go to the services tab

Scroll down until you find GameInputSvc right click on the name and stop the service.
        Exit out of Taskmanager 

Then that service will not run.
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

CaptainHaddock

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 01:22:34 PM »
          I can disable GameInput Host Services, but it takes me a long time to get rid of it, it keeps opening several times even after I've closed it.

Any way to stop it from respawning when I try to disable it in Task Manager?