Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: medion 8383XL  (Read 45786 times)

mistybear

medion 8383XL
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:53:29 PM »
Hi, I bought my son a Medion 8383XL desktop computer, Intel Pentium 4 processor 550 Hyper Threading-Technology  800 MHZ front side bus.
Western Digital 250GB HD with *mb Cache 7200pm.
Pioneer 16x Duel Layer Multi Formated DVD/CD Writer
16x DVD-ROM
512MB Memory DDR 400MHz 64bit duel channel memory (one bank free for upgrading
USB 2.0 6XUSB 2.0
GeForce 6610 XL Graphics Card 128MB DDR3 Memory at 800MHz PCI-Express x 16 bus architecture.
Stereo TV Card FM Card
Wireless network access WLAN 54Mbit IEEE 802.11b compatible
Medion 10/100 Mbit Fast Ethernet
I hope that is enough imformation.
I'm very new to computers, and have been trying to get imformation about this computer, Yes I've tried Medion, internet and phone.
All I want is the specs. on what is actually in it, Motherboard, Memory and such as we want to upgrade and add to it. So I need to know what is compatible.
My son complains the memory is too small, and we would like to get an External Hard Drive.
This computer is used for a lot of downloading, music and video. And we do a lot of burning, but at the moment we are having trouble with Movie Factory 4, thats another forum. And its used alot for Gaming, single, online and Lan games.
Point is, does any body know anything about these computers and how to upgrade them .
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: medion 8383XL
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:44:56 AM »
I personally find your hard drive to be above sufficient for the job. When you say memory, you must mean RAM. It's easy to get RAM (speed) and space/memory confused with your hard disk. YOu have a 250 GB Hard Disk. That's PLENTY. UNless you are running out of course. Now, your RAM could use upgrading. You currently have 512 MB. That's good, but for gaming and such, anywhere from 1 GB + will do you better. You can buy RAM at almost any computer store.

Flame

mistybear

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 07:40:39 AM »
Thanks Flame,
                     What sort of memory/RAM would you suggest, another 512Mb and if so, does it need to be same as the one thats already in there.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 07:55:40 AM »
There is only one chip there now and you have one free  slot?

www.crucial.com for seeing exactly what you need. Not all RAM is the same.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:58:42 AM by GX1_Man »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 07:59:33 AM »
Well, I can't seem to find your computer on the online configurator I use. GX1_Man is right. See how many slots are taken up, and how many are free. If you take it to a computer store, they will usually have their own configurator, and will know what to get you. Is Medion your manufacturer? Once we find out more about your computer, we will need to see how much RAM your computer can handle, so we don't overload it.

EDIT: Thanks to GX1_Man's link, we now have information! It doesn't say how much you can handle, but if it's new I'm sure it's a large amount. Now we just need to know how many slots are open...

Flame
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:03:28 AM by flame »

mistybear

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »
Thanks to both of you,
Yes it says on the box, one bank free for upgrading.
But they don't tell you what's already in there.
I haven't been able to find any information/specs. on this computer.
I was hoping someone out has managed find the specs. or someone who has opened theirs up to find out.
You're right I don't want to buy another memory and find out it's not combatible or its too much for the computer.
Any more help and advice appreciated, but its 2.00am here and I need to go to bed, so I'll check back in, in the morning.
 Thankyou again  

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
I don't think handling more RAM is a problem. This is a new computer, so I'm sure it can handle many GBs. As for the type of RAM you need, I found a very similar computer, but not exact. I would take the computer to a computer store, and let them make the decision for you. If they look at what yuo have in there already, that will make it all that much easier. How much RAM you want is up to you. All the store will be doing is finding the right type of RAM, and installing it for you if you wish. How much RAM do yuo want to add? How much money are you willing to spend?

Flame

stikflote

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 10:37:46 AM »
hello i too have a medion it a 8800 titanium, mine has got 1024 memory with two banks spare, its dead easy to find out mother board make and how much memory you have got and how many banks are free. heres how in google type in BELARC ADVISOR ITS A FREE DOWNLOAD takes less than a minute it configures your pc then tells you whats in it even space on hard drive i use a lot its safe,  good luck its worth printing a copy off its two pages first page is he one you want

mistybear

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »
Good morning,
                      Flame, I thought just doubling the RAM, another 512MB in the spare bank. Thats once I find out what the other one is, so I can get a compatible 512MB for it. I have been looking at the twin corsair 512MB, and just taking out whats in there and replace with that, so I don't have to worry about compatibility. But what do I do with the one I've taken out. There's nothing wrong with it, he just needs more.
Hi Stikflote, I've had a look at the site, looks good I just need for my son to get off X Box Live and Fire up his computer and have a look, which mighten be long with me one the internet and slowing him down.
Thankyou for your help and suggestions, we are hoping to do this ourselves. I've been looking on eBay and elseware for prices, as i need to keep the cost down. I'll probably be back for advice on how to install the RAM.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »
You don't need to buy two chips, necessarily. If you have one 512, just get another, but make sure it is compatible. if you download and run Belarc advicsor (free)  you can see how many slots and chips are present without even opening the case! www.belarc.com

www.crucial.com for guaranteed compatibility, lifetime guarantee, quick delivery, reasonable price and no headaches.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 06:01:48 PM by GX1_Man »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »
Tell us what RAM manufacturers you are considering. We might be able to tell you which ones are overpriced  ;)  Research your prices. Let us know what you decide on.

Flame

mistybear

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »
Hi,
    We ran belarc advisor, under Memory Modules c,d,  it has 512Mb installed memory.
Slot "AO" is empty
Slot "A1" is empty
Slot "A2" is empty
Slot "A3" is empty
Please excuse my ignorance, but I still don't understand what this means. I'm trying hard to understand how computers work, but I wasn't brought up in a world with computers, and all of this is very new to me.
And I'm very impressed and appreciative of how helpful you all have been, considering how much we paid for this computer and how unhelpful the so called Medion Help Desk has been.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 09:43:03 PM »
I've never used that configurator before... Better wait lol  I find it strange that all slots are empty though...

Flame

mistybear

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 09:50:47 PM »
Well if you find it stange then maybe I'm not as dumb as I feel. On the box it says 512Mb and one bank free for upgrading. Now I have 512MB installed I don't know where, and 4 slots free. How much can these slots take.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 09:51:42 PM »
Belarc lists all slots and tells you how much RAM is present is each slot. What is the exact message for all the memory, or post a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:52:42 PM by GX1_Man »

mistybear

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »
Memory Modules c,d
512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' is Empty

Thats all it say about it...if im wrong plz tell me where to find it or be specific, my son is trying to help as well (for a change)

GX1_Man

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 10:40:16 PM »
Hmmm. Never seen that before. Try downloading Everest and then click on system report. Scroll down to the memory section.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

mistybear

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 01:20:35 AM »
OK, We finally did that and it has the % of memory that is used and unused. Doesn't really tell us anything else.

GX1_Man

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 06:57:07 AM »
I'm still having trouble comprehending that, but maybe it's time to just look in the case and see how many chips are in the slots and see what is free. You will find the RAM near the CPU and  fan.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »
Don't forget to ground the electricity from your hands before touching the insides of the computer!  ;)

Flame

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 03:20:41 PM »
That is a strange one. How come all four slots say empty?

When you use Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

See what the make and model number of the motherboard is.

mistybear

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 02:02:35 AM »
Hi Guy's,
             Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I haven't been getting any email alert's. We haven't done anything with the computer, but we did print out the belarc advisor profile.
The motherboard, Micro-Star International Co., LTD
                           MS-7091
                           Bus Clock: 200 megahertz  
                           BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
                           6.00 PG 10/12/2004
I have no idea what that means, but I thought I'd take it up to the only computer place we have here and see what they can tell me.
Stikflote I don't no how to go to your post.
I know that I'm computer illiterate, but at the moment I,m unwell, so I'm having trouble even thinking.
But again I thankyou all for your continuing help.  

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 02:31:41 AM »
Hi Guy's,
             Sorry it's taken so long to get back. I haven't been getting any email alert's. We haven't done anything with the computer, but we did print out the belarc advisor profile.
The motherboard, Micro-Star International Co., LTD
                           MS-7091
                           Bus Clock: 200 megahertz  
                           BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
                           6.00 PG 10/12/2004
I have no idea what that means, but I thought I'd take it up to the only computer place we have here and see what they can tell me.
Stikflote I don't no how to go to your post.
I know that I'm computer illiterate, but at the moment I,m unwell, so I'm having trouble even thinking.
But again I thank you all for your continuing help.

All I could find on this Medion 8383 XL computer.

Technical information             
CPU, motherboard and memory      
Processor type and speed      Intel Pentium 4 550 HT 3,4 GHz      
Socket Type      LGA 775      
Front Side Bus speed      800 MHz      
[highlight]Motherboard      MSI MS-7091 V1.0      [/highlight]
Chipset      Intel 915P      
ISA-slots (free)      0 (0)      
PCI-slots (free)      3 (2)      
AMR / CNR slots      ---      
SATA connections + type (free)      4 (3) SATA/150      
PCI Express slots (free) + type      1 (0) PCI Express 16      
[highlight]Memory slots (free)      2 (1)      
Type of memory      Samsung DDR Dual Channel 400 MHz 64 bit      
Internal memory      512 MB      
Maximum internal memory      2 GB      [/highlight]
Number ports (USB / Serial / Parallel / Firewire)      6 / 1 / 1 / 2      
USB 2.0 support?      yes      
Memorycard reader?      yes (WinBond)      
System case + power supply      Medion AIRXL with Fortron 350W power supply.      
Hard disk             
Brand and type      Western Digital 2500JD      
Capacity (GB)      250      
Controller      SATA      
Revolutions per minute      7200      
Buffer memory      8 MB      
RAID interface(s) + type      no      
Support for SMART?      yes

Video      
Brand and type      Medion nVidia GeForce 6610 XL      
Chipset      GeForce 6610 XL 400 MHz      
Video memory and type      128 MB DDR3 800 MHz      
SLI?      no      
Tv tuner?      yes      
Radio tuner?      yes      
Satellite tuner?      no      
Digital Video Recorder?      software      
Video-in + type?      2 (S-Video, Composiet)      
Video-out + type?      3 (S-Video, Composiet, SCART)      
DVI + type (D, A, I)? (number)      DVI-I (1)      
Single or Dual link DVI connector(s)?      single

Multimedia             
Optical reader + type      Artec DHM-G48R 16X dvd-rom      
Optical rewriter + type      Pioneer DVR-108 16X dual layer multi-standaard dvd/cd-rw      
Sound card + type      8.1 Intel high definition audio      
Digital audio out?      yes      
Digital audio in?      yes      
Sound system      stereo      
Keyboard brand and type   wireless keyboard      
Mouse brand and type   wireless optical mouse      
Modem brand, type and speed      Creatix 56K V.9x PCI Data Fax Modem      
Network card(s) + speed      Fast Ethernet      
WiFi + type      Medion 802.11g      
Bluetooth + version      yes      
Other included extra multimedia hardware      ---

Software             
Operating system      Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2      
Extra security software      CA eTrust AV, Symantec Recovery      
Extra applications software      MS Works Suite 2005      
Extra games and multimedia software      Medion PowerCinema 3, Cyberlink PowerDirector 3SE, Power DVD 5, MediaShow SE, Musicmatch, Videon, Nero Burning ROM 6, Nero Recode 2 Se

According to that info there are two slots available for RAM.

It should be that one slot has 512 MB of RAM in it and you should have a choice of either adding another 512 MB or removing the current 512 MB module and putting 2 x 1024 MB modules in.

This looks like the right RAM from Crucial
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:54:14 AM by MASH »

MASH

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 03:05:50 AM »
This article might be able to shed some light on things.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Desktops/Q_21700342.html

I note that the Medion computer I was working on next door uses the /PAE switch in boot.ini

I'll ask if I can run Belarc and Everest on the system when I get a chance and see if the error repeats itself.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:06:54 AM by MASH »

mistybear

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 03:29:32 AM »
Hi Mash,
             Thankyou for all the information, I think things are finally starting to make sense. One thing I should mention is that I live in Australia.
              I don't know if that changes anything, but I appreciate all the information your giving me. And once this problem is fixed and the new memory is in, I was hoping for some advice on a compatible external hard drive.

MASH

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 03:50:44 AM »
Hi Mash,
             Thank you for all the information, I think things are finally starting to make sense. One thing I should mention is that I live in Australia.
              I don't know if that changes anything, but I appreciate all the information your giving me. And once this problem is fixed and the new memory is in, I was hoping for some advice on a compatible external hard drive.

No problem. My pleasure.

On the external drive it really depends on what sort of capacity you require.

I remembered that the Medion next door has 1024 MBs of RAM but I don't remember in what configuration and which model number the computer has.

If your computer has the 15 GB recovery partition (FAT32) have you made up the recovery DVD yet?

Best to get it off the drive and keep the 4.7 GB Recovery DVD-R in a safe place. Then you gain an additional 15 GB.

If it is anything like the one next door it has a peculiar partitioning scheme.

Something like BOOT C: at 109 GB (NTFS) BACKUP D: at 109 GB (NTFS) and RECOVERY E: at 15 GB (FAT32)

If the one next door belonged to me I would re-partition it so as to use the drive-space more effectively.

If you make up the 4.7 GB Recovery DVD-R you can delete the 15GB FAT32 partition and use a partition resizer to extend the BACKUP D: drive to use the space. 109+15=124.

You could then shrink the BOOT Drive C: down to whatever you really need depending on the programs you use. Say 20 GB. (20480 MB)

You'd then have to increase the size of the extended partition some 89 GB and increase the size of the D: logical drive equally, which would give you 124+89 = 213 GB of storage space.

Here's a bit on Western Digital USB2 External drives

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?Cat=5&Language=en
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:15:02 AM by MASH »

mistybear

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 04:06:03 AM »
Hey, im the son, it's my computer, ummm, mine is C: 125Gb (NTFS), D:97.6Gb (NTFS) and E:9.75Gb (FAT32). My mother is not typing anymore at the moment because she is feeling ill. What do you mean by "have you made up the recovery DVD yet?", in your last message, but if you could explain the information you need to help me i will do what ever i can to reply the best i can.

MASH

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 04:24:32 AM »
Hey, im the son, it's my computer, ummm, mine is C: 125Gb (NTFS), D:97.6Gb (NTFS) and E:9.75Gb (FAT32). My mother is not typing anymore at the moment because she is feeling ill. What do you mean by "have you made up the recovery DVD yet?", in your last message, but if you could explain the information you need to help me i will do whatever i can to reply the best i can.

Sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope she's soon well again.

If you take a look on the start menu, if it is anything like the computer next door, there should be a Medion info and help link with information about running and recovering the system. If there is, take a look the chapter on 'recovery' and making up this DVD. I seem to remember that you re-boot to the Service CD and follow the on-screen instructions, but you'd better have a good read-up on it first.

It's the same size drive anyway at 232.35 GB (Binary).

Do you have a partitioning program like Partition Magic?

mistybear

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 05:11:26 AM »
Hi,
    My son has gone to bed, it's 10.30pm here. His computer is in his room, so all I have is the belarc print out, but thats no help. I won't be able to get the information until he gets home from school tomorrow. I can only manage the basics, plus he doesn't really like me using his computer, there is so much stuff on his computer. He says he needs to format the hard drive, but I have movies and music stored on it which I want to burn to DVD, but we are having a problem with the software. So hence the need for an external hard drive to store the stuff we want to keep. I bought a DVD recorder with a 160GB HD and it has a USB Port, So I was hoping I could transfer what I want from the computer on to the DVD recorder, but I couldn't plug the DVD recorder into the TV properly because the TV is old. So I bought A new TV, but it has issues of its own and is at the repairers. To tell you the truth I'm so close to throwing every electrical appliance out, also we have satelite TV, which also had problems and they replace the decoder box, but it has errors and they have to come back next week to fix it.
         I won't even go into all the errors with the software on my sons computer, and lets not talk about this old Packard Bell I'm on.
         OK now that I've gotten that out of my system, please what should we do first. Format the hard drive, and then do the software updates and then change the memory. I don't know, I'm just guessing.  

MASH

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 08:42:58 AM »
Hi, My son has gone to bed, it's 10.30pm here. His computer is in his room, so all I have is the belarc print out, but that's no help. I won't be able to get the information until he gets home from school tomorrow. I can only manage the basics, plus he doesn't really like me using his computer, there is so much stuff on his computer. He says he needs to format the hard drive, but I have movies and music stored on it which I want to burn to DVD, but we are having a problem with the software.

So hence the need for an external hard drive to store the stuff we want to keep. I bought a DVD recorder with a 160GB HD and it has a USB Port, So I was hoping I could transfer what I want from the computer on to the DVD recorder, but I couldn't plug the DVD recorder into the TV properly because the TV is old. So I bought A new TV, but it has issues of its own and is at the repairers. To tell you the truth I'm so close to throwing every electrical appliance out, also we have satellite TV, which also had problems and they replaced the decoder box, but it has errors and they have to come back next week to fix it.

I won't even go into all the errors with the software on my sons computer, and lets not talk about this old Packard Bell I'm on.

OK now that I've gotten that out of my system, please what should we do first. Format the hard drive, and then do the software updates and then change the memory. I don't know, I'm just guessing.  

Pity I'm not there as a next door neighbour. I just had a look at my next door neighbour's Medion and it's an MD 8800. Whilst looking on Google for information I can across this little surprise, [highlight]DO NOT MESS WITH THE PARTION SIZES as you will not then be able to reset to the factory conditions.[/highlight]

I thought that there might be something a little unusual with the setup so I have acted with caution thus far.

He has also had problems and the first one was with the eTrust anti-virus software. What I did was this.

Made a System Restore Point!

1. Downloaded AVG Free Home Edition anti-virus which I use on this 'Old Packard-Bell iXtreme' Circa AD 2000.

2. Disconnected the modem.

3. Used the factory CD to uninstall the eTrust Anti-Virus and also the eTrust reminder that you have to pay to continue use.

4. Cleaned up the Registry manually. I'll come to that again later as you can use TUU.

5. Installed AVG Anti-Virus.

6. Re-connected the modem, went on-line and updated the anti-virus program immediately.

7. Ran a full anti-virus scan with the updated AVG program. THREE virii cleaned off the system.

So I thought it best to double-check by running an on-line anti-virus and anti-trojan scan using the Trend Micro anti-virus and anti-Trojan scanner which is a free service and found a couple of Trojans and some malware. Some could be fixed on-line but a couple persisted.

Made another System Restore Point!

Downloaded SpyBot SD (freeware) installed and updated the program, changed the settings to advanced, checked to see that user tracks were being removed and that the 'expert' buttons were showing and ran a full scan. Nothing much happened, just removed old user tracks which take up space.

Downloaded AdAware SE (freeware) installed and updated the program, ran a full scan. Nothing much happened with this either.

OK so I tried Ewido updated and ran a full scan with that. That removed a couple of data-miner cookies and removed the Trojan.

Made yet another System Restore Point!

Now that the system was finally clean, downloaded and installed TuneUP Utilities and got it to clean up the registry. The ran the registry optimiser which is part of the program.

This program makes backups just in case you need to restore something it has removed by mistake. (I have never seen it make a mistake on any of the systems I have installed it on to date. If it makes a mistake on your system, it'll be the first time.)

Installed CCLeaner (freeware) and used it to clean up some things which TUU doesn't look for.

Installed the User Profile Hive Cleanup service from Microsoft downloads. (Free)

Re-booted the computer, then right-clicked on the BOOT drive icon and choose Propeties> Tools> Error Checking> Check now and put a check mark in both boxes, clicked OK to run checkdisk read the Notice and re-booted the computer.

After check-disk had run I then ran Analyse with the Defragmentation program. It needed to be defragmented so I then ran defragment.

Checked that all operating system updates were applied and that all other programs were fully updated and that all programs were funtioning as they should be. All was OK.

Made a System Restore Point.

Three days later checked that all was still well ran CCLeaner and removed all the junk including IIS Logs and Hotfix uninstallers, made a System Restore point and then ran Disk Cleanup and removed all of the old System Restore points.

So now I just need to know what problems you're having with your burning software which is NERO. Have you opened NERO StartSmart and clicked on the NERO at top left to open the update panel and checked for updates?

It is 16:40 hrs CET here and you should be asleep?

Is that any help?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 10:27:18 AM by MASH »

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2006, 02:50:10 PM »
And this link should be the Mainboard manual .PDF file download for the MicroStar MSI MS-7091

http://downloads.adslweb.co.uk/download.php?file=18

This says that the mainboard can support 4 x 1024 MB RAM modules (4 GB).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:56:14 PM by MASH »

Backdated

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 03:08:35 PM »
Medion is a German company that supply the likes of Aldi etc. For the price, they're not bad quality boxes.
The alarm bells raised regarding partitioning etc is because like many other manufacturers, Medion use a hidden recovery partition.
To see what's actually on this system (Medion do tend to vary components), download and run Aida32, run the Report Wizard, choose Hardware Configuration, save the report as html and either up it to some web space or attach it here.

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2006, 03:22:32 PM »
The alarm bells raised regarding partitioning, etc. is because like many other manufacturers, Medion use a hidden recovery partition.

You'll find that the Recovery partition is not hidden and shows up in Disk Management.

If you put your serial number in on the Medion Support site I believe that you can download a manual for the computer. Whether it is any different to the one you get with the computer I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:23:49 PM by MASH »

Backdated

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 03:23:43 PM »
Hidden or not, that's what the panic is about.

MASH

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 03:26:28 PM »
I am not so sure about that. Apparently you can copy the data on the Recovery partition to a DVD and then, presumably, combine the additional space into drive D:

There is some doubt about the backup data on drive D: and whether it is necessary to keep it there and someone has said that the partitions should not be re-sized.

That *might* apply to the BOOT Drive C: but I don't see how it applies to the other two.

It should always be possible to do a factory restore, shrink the C: drive down to a reasonable size and then make a drive image to use for 'factory' restore purposes.

You should then be able to repartition the rest of the drive using XP's Disk Management and set the drive up any way you want to.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:34:32 PM by MASH »

Backdated

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2006, 03:34:02 PM »
If you had a disk image or an XP CD and program installations, you could dump the lot now, repartition to your hearts content and reinstall.
As I said, hidden or not, that's what the panic is about.

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »
With all the SATA connections, adding more drive space shouldn't really be a problem, as long as the cost is acceptable.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:37:07 PM by MASH »

mistybear

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »
Hi Mash,
             Thanks for all of that, I wish you were my neighbour too. I'll have Michael look at it when he gets home. And if he's unsure about doing this, we'll wait until a friend of mine is coming up on the weekend and they can do it then.
              On the belarc printout there are 31 Microsoft Security Hotfixes missing, and his Windows Media Player states it needs to be reinstalled.
              OK, now the DVD Software, Michael told me that nero didn't work so I purchased Ulead Movie Factory 4SE Version. Everything was ok to begin with, but I was unhappy with the darkness of some scenes and I read on their site that there was an update for that. So Michael try to Download it, but apparently its not for the SE version. So me thinking I know more than I do tried playing with the settings before I burnt the DVD, thinking I was enhancing it. This is a good example of why Michael doesn't like me using his computer. Anyway end result the lipsync is out and I don't know how to fix it. I asked Michael if we should uninstall it then reinstall it, he's not sure. So all DVD burning has stopped and he's wants my stuff off his computer. I'm using his old computer which has a hard drive of 8GB and can't be upgraded.
              Sorry I'm rambling again, so yes Ulead Movie Factory 4 SE, I bought it because it said it was made for Pentium.

mistybear

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2006, 06:58:19 PM »
Hi Backdated,
                    I didn't know about the conversation you were having with Mash when I posted my reply. We have already run Belarc and Everest, do think I should still run what you suggested.

Backdated

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
If you follow my instructions you'll end up with a single page html report of all your hardware. If you have any ISP provided or other webspace, you could simply upload and post a link to it. If you don't have webspace, PM me and I'll up it for you.

mistybear

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 07:34:23 PM »
Thanks Backdated,
                            I'll need to wait till my son gets home, in about two and half hours, so he can do it. I'll let you know how it goes. One question though, when your running these is it possible to be doing other things on the computer, and if so, does that interfere with the outcome. Reason I ask is that my son has a tendency to do about 10 things at once, so waiting for a program to run and not attempt to do something else, such as talk on MSN, would be normal for him. I now know your suppose to close all other programs when burning a DVD, but I know he was doing other stuff when a DVD was being burned. So if its a requirement that everything should be closed, he needs to know.

mistybear

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 10:48:05 PM »
Hi Mash,
            Yes we did visit the Medion site and entered the serial no., We did that a couple of weeks ago, but the information is the same as you get with the computer, totally usless. But the updates and that might be useful.
             I'm still waiting for Michael to run the AIDA32

mistybear

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »
OK  we have run the AIDA32, please tell us what part you need as there is 79 pages.

MASH

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 03:41:35 AM »
Hi Mash,
             Thanks for all of that, I wish you were my neighbour too. I'll have Michael look at it when he gets home. And if he's unsure about doing this, we'll wait until a friend of mine is coming up on the weekend and they can do it then.
              On the belarc printout there are 31 Microsoft Security Hotfixes missing, and his Windows Media Player states it needs to be reinstalled.
              OK, now the DVD Software, Michael told me that nero didn't work so I purchased Ulead Movie Factory 4SE Version. Everything was ok to begin with, but I was unhappy with the darkness of some scenes and I read on their site that there was an update for that. So Michael try to Download it, but apparently its not for the SE version. So me thinking I know more than I do tried playing with the settings before I burnt the DVD, thinking I was enhancing it. This is a good example of why Michael doesn't like me using his computer. Anyway end result the lipsync is out and I don't know how to fix it. I asked Michael if we should uninstall it then reinstall it, he's not sure. So all DVD burning has stopped and he's wants my stuff off his computer. I'm using his old computer which has a hard drive of 8GB and can't be upgraded.
              Sorry I'm rambling again, so yes Ulead Movie Factory 4 SE, I bought it because it said it was made for Pentium.

This is what Belarc says for my computer. I had to re-install one hotfix after running Belarc the first time, and to do so I had to use the download for IT Professionals as Windows Update didn't detect it.

[highlight]All required security hotfixes (using the 05/10/2005 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.[/highlight]

So the first job should be to install all of these as I seem to remember that a couple of them are required by NERO and then re-install Windows Media Player and check for updates again.

NERO has a setting which is supposed to advise you as to whether the computer's operating system needs to be updated but I would not rely on that.

When burning sensitive DVDs it is best to start doing that job on its own after a re-boot with all other programs closed. Those who do it professionally use a computer dedicated to this purpose only and have another computer for general office and messaging work.

A friend of mine's brother has three computers with some 3 x 1024 MBs of RAM or more, for video editing and burning work, and another desktop as mentioned above, plus a laptop.

All three are dedicated to video work and nothing else.

The latest updates for NERO are numbered as follows.

LightScribe API 1.4.67.1

Nero OEM  6.6.1.4

Nero Digital 3.1.0.25

Nero Media Player 1.4.0.35

You say that the older computer can't be updated. What is the model name/number? Maybe it could at least have a slave drive added as storage.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 03:48:53 AM by MASH »

mistybear

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 03:55:31 AM »
Hi Mash,
             We are trying to find the microsoft site, you wouldn't know a short cut

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2006, 04:24:30 AM »
Hi Mash,
             We are trying to find the microsoft site, you wouldn't know a short cut

If you have completed all the updates on the regular Windows Update site (Internet Explorer, Tools, Windows Update) then run Belarc Advisor again and it'll tell you which ones need to be re-installed and show a red X next to them.

If you click on the details... link next to the Hotfix number you should get to the MS Download for that particular hotfix. Download the hotfix manually to a HOTFIX folder and run it from there. (Use the IT Professionals link near the top of the page.)  Close all other applications when installing. (You might be asked to re-boot the computer.)

Also take a look at the top of the Belarc Advisor page and see if Belarc itself needs to be updated, as I have just had to do.

When all the hotfixes have been installed run Belarc Advisor again to see if the system gets a clean bill of health.

Then take a look for updates for NERO and install them all, if you need any.

I hope that you made a SOFTWARE Folder to keep all of these Freeware programs in.

If you need an office program take a look at Open Office 2 which is also free.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 04:29:36 AM by MASH »

MASH

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 04:54:44 AM »
For serious video work you really need more than 512 MB of RAM.

mistybear

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2006, 04:59:57 AM »
Thanks Mash,
                   The belarc we ran states there are 31 missing hotfixes, 11 of which are critical and half and half for important/moderate. And that Windows Media Player 10 and Windows Media Player, need to be reinstalled.
          Now for the bad news, michael has decided to be completely uncooperative in helping to fix his computer, so I have decided to try and do this myself when he is at school.
           Only problem is that I don't know where the belarc report is on the computer, if I can find it at least I can make a start.
            The computer I'm using is a Packard Bell Force 4146 with Windows 98.
            Which by the way froze yet again and I Cntrl Alt Delete twice, it has many problems. I ran Registry Mechanic on it just for fun and it came up with over 400 errors. A lot of those to do with Norton, I think Michael said he tried to uninstall it and something went wrong. We have all the CD's and have been talking about Restoring it with the master CD Key.
Ok just got you're last posting, well the whole idea of this was to upgrade his RAM, not for that purpose but for gaming, as he says it's to slow. Maybe if all the problems are fixed that may speed it up as well.

MASH

Medion 8383XL
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2006, 05:15:44 AM »
Just go to Start> All Programs> Windows Update> and run the Express scan to get the high-priority updates first of all, and see how you go from there.

MASH

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2006, 05:19:17 AM »
Does the Packard-Bell computer have Smart Restore? If so it should have a means of running checksums on the Master restore CDs to see if they are still in good condition and suitable for use.

Norton/Symantec should have a removal tool available for each of its products on their site.

Using AVG Free Home Edition anti-virus is preferable as AVG uses far less in the way of system resources.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 05:26:53 AM by MASH »

mistybear

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2006, 05:37:23 AM »
Ok Mash,
             I presume your referring to the Medion Computer.
             Thanks for info, on the Packard, yes it does have Smart Restore, I'll probably give that a ago on the weekend. Also a pop up has attached it self to my internet explorer, I try to use mozilla firefox as much as possible but my email address is under explorer, so everytime I open MSN I get these pop up's and it keeps happening when I open different pages. We tried the Add/Delete but it wouldn't let us do it.

Can I say something on a more personal level, I have been looking at other forums. Your obviously a person with passionate views, many of which I'd enjoy discussing, but not here. Anyway I'm concerned that you may decide to leave the forum. Your advice, ( and that of many others) has been invaluable to me and I'm sure many others.    

MASH

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2006, 06:20:56 AM »
Ok Mash,
             I presume your referring to the Medion Computer.
             Thanks for info, on the Packard, yes it does have Smart Restore, I'll probably give that a a go on the weekend. Also a pop up has attached itself to my internet explorer, I try to use mozilla firefox as much as possible but my email address is under explorer, so everytime I open MSN I get these pop up's and it keeps happening when I open different pages. We tried the Add/Delete but it wouldn't let us do it.

Can I say something on a more personal level, I have been looking at other forums. You're obviously a person with passionate views, many of which I'd enjoy discussing, but not here. Anyway I'm concerned that you may decide to leave the forum. Your advice, ( and that of many others) has been invaluable to me and I'm sure many others.

Yes, I was referring to the Medion.

Smart Restore may have three/four icons on the bottom of the SmartRestore panel. One is to make the Technical Services Diskette which you need to have, (You may already have a red diskette from Packard Bell) and one is to run checksums on the Master CDs.

Some have an icon which does the Smart Restore back to factory conditions from a hidden partition, but if Master CDs were supplied with the computer it is unlikely to have a hidden partition as well.

Some Norton Products supplied with the Packrd Bell software bundle are notoriously difficult to remove and I found that the best way is to use the Technical Services Diskete in conjunction with the PB Master CDs to do a selective install, installing the main operating system and Smart Restore only and then using the SmartRestore panel to install only thse programs you really need to have, such as MS Word, if you got Word with your software package.

If you got Works I prefer to use Open Office 2 as it is similar to Microsoft Office but without an Email client which you get with Outlook Express anyway.

When you do a selective install you can then, and first of all, open the Help and Support centre to ensure that it is working before adding AVG anti-virus and going on-line to update. (Always disconnect the modem when doing a clean install or a restore and only connect it again when you are ready to update the anti-virus program and run a full scan.

The update the operating system and add your programs. (When it is all done tuned and cleaned up and provided that all is right I like to make a drive image of the installation to make restoring easy as it saves all my personal settings.

As to the pop-ups try installing the Google toolbar on IE as it has a pop-up blocker.

Sometimes it is just as well to do a clean install even if it takes weeks to get it just the way you want it to be.

Have a nice day and let me know how you get on with the updates.

If too much is wrong it may be better to do a factory restore and start over but it is always worth a try as you can learn a lot in the process.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:43:48 AM by MASH »

mistybear

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2006, 06:57:31 AM »
Once again I thank you for advice. I'm going to bed now, but tomorrow I will attempt to get these Hotfixes on the Medion, and as for saving things into a folder I'm not sure what Michael has done. But I did see him put the AIDA32 into a folder.
       Just remembered, as far as the particianing goes, Michael says he doesn't what to mess with it, he likes how he has it set it up. So as soon as we get it running properly and the new memory in, and all my stuff off it, I was thinking of an external hard drive that we can both access. At present we are linked by an ethernet cable. I've been reading about hard drives that we can network, but finding one thats a compatible connection to me and to his computer. That way I can download to my hearts content and when I can use his computer I can then burn to my hearts content.
        Final thought, their is a huge difference between religion and faith.
   Goodnight I'll let you know how I get on.  

Backdated

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2006, 07:34:08 AM »
OK  we have run the AIDA32, please tell us what part you need as there is 79 pages.

If you followed my instructions, you would now have a single html page.

MASH

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2006, 09:47:04 AM »
Once again I thank you for advice. I'm going to bed now, but tomorrow I will attempt to get these Hotfixes on the Medion, and as for saving things into a folder I'm not sure what Michael has done. But I did see him put the AIDA32 into a folder.

Just remembered, as far as the partitioning goes, Michael says he doesn't what to mess with it, he likes how he has it set it up. So as soon as we get it running properly and the new memory in, and all my stuff off it, I was thinking of an external hard drive that we can both access. At present we are linked by an ethernet cable. I've been reading about hard drives that we can network, but finding one that!s a compatible connection to me and to his computer. That way I can download to my hearts content and when I can use his computer I can then burn to my hearts content.

Goodnight I'll let you know how I get on.  

I just checked the Medion next door with Belarc Advisor and it got a clean bill of health.

Look forward to hearing from you with some good news.

mistybear

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »
Hi Backdated,
                    Michael really didn't understand the instructions and just ran it, he doesn't like reading. If there is a continue button on a page he'll go straight to it,  or if he can find download he goes straight to it. But one good thing about it we found where the memory is.
                     So I'm sorry, if it was me doing it I would need step by step instructions. I've been on his computer but I can't find the belarc report, so I was thinking of running it again. Ang why can't I respond to you in this forum from his computer.  

Duncan_McGregor

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2006, 03:06:50 AM »
Did you install all the updates?

mistybear

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 03:14:03 AM »
YEA! Yes I have but I'm having trouble with the last one. A couple of weeks ago someone tried to download Windows Media Player 10. My son denies all knowledge, anyway we deleted it and it went back to W. M. P. 9. So I thought that would solve the problem, but we ran Belarc again and it still says it needs
KB911565 which is for W. M. P. 10. So I don't understand.
What should I do next.  

mistybear

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 03:18:57 AM »
I posted this problem under Microsoft Windows -Hotfixes not recognised by Windows

Duncan_McGregor

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 03:49:33 AM »
YEA! Yes I have but I'm having trouble with the last one. A couple of weeks ago someone tried to download Windows Media Player 10. My son denies all knowledge, anyway we deleted it and it went back to W. M. P. 9. So I thought that would solve the problem, but we ran Belarc again and it still says it needs
KB911565 which is for W. M. P. 10. So I don't understand.
What should I do next.  

Make a restore point and try re-installing WMP 10 from the automatic updates site (Custom button) then see if that hotfix will apply.

Try the program TuneUP Utilities and just use the Registry cleaner and Registry optimiser. You get 30 days free use.

Then run Belarc Advisor and see where you are up to.

(Don't bother with any of the fancy tune-ups in TuneUP Utilities. It isn't worth the risk at this stage.)

I hope you're feeling a bit better today.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 03:52:27 AM by Duncan_McGregor »

mistybear

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 03:51:07 AM »
I am now

mistybear

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 03:53:28 AM »
I have no idea what a restore point is

Duncan_McGregor

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2006, 03:59:51 AM »
Go to> Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore, or copy and paste this line into the Run window and click OK.

Code: [Select]
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Elect to Create a restore point and type User Checkpoint in the window so you know which one it is.

When WMP 10 has been re-installed it should show up as the next entry.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:02:18 AM by Duncan_McGregor »

Duncan_McGregor

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2006, 04:23:30 AM »
I am now

Good on you. :)

mistybear

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2006, 04:40:33 AM »
OK did that it installed two updates but nothing to do with W.M.P.
And when the computer restarted it had a script error, and something else I can't remember.
But no W.M.P. 10
Should I go to there site and download it or leave it alone.
Michale's just arrived home and he says he's happy with it the way it is. So what do I do about Belarc?

Duncan_McGregor

Medion 8383 XL
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2006, 05:12:10 AM »
We'll stick to the other thread, but it is a long way from being right. I am only happy when it's perfect.

If necessary we'll go through a factory restore but you'll need to get your data onto that external drive first.

Catch you on the other thread and we'll close this one, otherwise it can get too confusing.