Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: medion 8383XL  (Read 45795 times)

mistybear

medion 8383XL
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:53:29 PM »
Hi, I bought my son a Medion 8383XL desktop computer, Intel Pentium 4 processor 550 Hyper Threading-Technology  800 MHZ front side bus.
Western Digital 250GB HD with *mb Cache 7200pm.
Pioneer 16x Duel Layer Multi Formated DVD/CD Writer
16x DVD-ROM
512MB Memory DDR 400MHz 64bit duel channel memory (one bank free for upgrading
USB 2.0 6XUSB 2.0
GeForce 6610 XL Graphics Card 128MB DDR3 Memory at 800MHz PCI-Express x 16 bus architecture.
Stereo TV Card FM Card
Wireless network access WLAN 54Mbit IEEE 802.11b compatible
Medion 10/100 Mbit Fast Ethernet
I hope that is enough imformation.
I'm very new to computers, and have been trying to get imformation about this computer, Yes I've tried Medion, internet and phone.
All I want is the specs. on what is actually in it, Motherboard, Memory and such as we want to upgrade and add to it. So I need to know what is compatible.
My son complains the memory is too small, and we would like to get an External Hard Drive.
This computer is used for a lot of downloading, music and video. And we do a lot of burning, but at the moment we are having trouble with Movie Factory 4, thats another forum. And its used alot for Gaming, single, online and Lan games.
Point is, does any body know anything about these computers and how to upgrade them .
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: medion 8383XL
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:44:56 AM »
I personally find your hard drive to be above sufficient for the job. When you say memory, you must mean RAM. It's easy to get RAM (speed) and space/memory confused with your hard disk. YOu have a 250 GB Hard Disk. That's PLENTY. UNless you are running out of course. Now, your RAM could use upgrading. You currently have 512 MB. That's good, but for gaming and such, anywhere from 1 GB + will do you better. You can buy RAM at almost any computer store.

Flame

mistybear

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 07:40:39 AM »
Thanks Flame,
                     What sort of memory/RAM would you suggest, another 512Mb and if so, does it need to be same as the one thats already in there.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 07:55:40 AM »
There is only one chip there now and you have one free  slot?

www.crucial.com for seeing exactly what you need. Not all RAM is the same.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:58:42 AM by GX1_Man »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 07:59:33 AM »
Well, I can't seem to find your computer on the online configurator I use. GX1_Man is right. See how many slots are taken up, and how many are free. If you take it to a computer store, they will usually have their own configurator, and will know what to get you. Is Medion your manufacturer? Once we find out more about your computer, we will need to see how much RAM your computer can handle, so we don't overload it.

EDIT: Thanks to GX1_Man's link, we now have information! It doesn't say how much you can handle, but if it's new I'm sure it's a large amount. Now we just need to know how many slots are open...

Flame
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 08:03:28 AM by flame »

mistybear

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »
Thanks to both of you,
Yes it says on the box, one bank free for upgrading.
But they don't tell you what's already in there.
I haven't been able to find any information/specs. on this computer.
I was hoping someone out has managed find the specs. or someone who has opened theirs up to find out.
You're right I don't want to buy another memory and find out it's not combatible or its too much for the computer.
Any more help and advice appreciated, but its 2.00am here and I need to go to bed, so I'll check back in, in the morning.
 Thankyou again  

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 08:44:57 AM »
I don't think handling more RAM is a problem. This is a new computer, so I'm sure it can handle many GBs. As for the type of RAM you need, I found a very similar computer, but not exact. I would take the computer to a computer store, and let them make the decision for you. If they look at what yuo have in there already, that will make it all that much easier. How much RAM you want is up to you. All the store will be doing is finding the right type of RAM, and installing it for you if you wish. How much RAM do yuo want to add? How much money are you willing to spend?

Flame

stikflote

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 10:37:46 AM »
hello i too have a medion it a 8800 titanium, mine has got 1024 memory with two banks spare, its dead easy to find out mother board make and how much memory you have got and how many banks are free. heres how in google type in BELARC ADVISOR ITS A FREE DOWNLOAD takes less than a minute it configures your pc then tells you whats in it even space on hard drive i use a lot its safe,  good luck its worth printing a copy off its two pages first page is he one you want

mistybear

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »
Good morning,
                      Flame, I thought just doubling the RAM, another 512MB in the spare bank. Thats once I find out what the other one is, so I can get a compatible 512MB for it. I have been looking at the twin corsair 512MB, and just taking out whats in there and replace with that, so I don't have to worry about compatibility. But what do I do with the one I've taken out. There's nothing wrong with it, he just needs more.
Hi Stikflote, I've had a look at the site, looks good I just need for my son to get off X Box Live and Fire up his computer and have a look, which mighten be long with me one the internet and slowing him down.
Thankyou for your help and suggestions, we are hoping to do this ourselves. I've been looking on eBay and elseware for prices, as i need to keep the cost down. I'll probably be back for advice on how to install the RAM.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »
You don't need to buy two chips, necessarily. If you have one 512, just get another, but make sure it is compatible. if you download and run Belarc advicsor (free)  you can see how many slots and chips are present without even opening the case! www.belarc.com

www.crucial.com for guaranteed compatibility, lifetime guarantee, quick delivery, reasonable price and no headaches.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 06:01:48 PM by GX1_Man »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »
Tell us what RAM manufacturers you are considering. We might be able to tell you which ones are overpriced  ;)  Research your prices. Let us know what you decide on.

Flame

mistybear

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »
Hi,
    We ran belarc advisor, under Memory Modules c,d,  it has 512Mb installed memory.
Slot "AO" is empty
Slot "A1" is empty
Slot "A2" is empty
Slot "A3" is empty
Please excuse my ignorance, but I still don't understand what this means. I'm trying hard to understand how computers work, but I wasn't brought up in a world with computers, and all of this is very new to me.
And I'm very impressed and appreciative of how helpful you all have been, considering how much we paid for this computer and how unhelpful the so called Medion Help Desk has been.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 09:43:03 PM »
I've never used that configurator before... Better wait lol  I find it strange that all slots are empty though...

Flame

mistybear

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 09:50:47 PM »
Well if you find it stange then maybe I'm not as dumb as I feel. On the box it says 512Mb and one bank free for upgrading. Now I have 512MB installed I don't know where, and 4 slots free. How much can these slots take.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 09:51:42 PM »
Belarc lists all slots and tells you how much RAM is present is each slot. What is the exact message for all the memory, or post a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 09:52:42 PM by GX1_Man »