Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installed new hardware, WinXP won't start  (Read 2355 times)

Cruc1al

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Installed new hardware, WinXP won't start
    « on: February 25, 2006, 05:44:52 AM »
    Hello. Please read it all, especially those experienced PC builders.  :)

I just a while ago installed these new components in my PC (this is the second system I'm building):

Asus A8N-E mobo
    Nexus NX5000 500W PSU
    Athlon 64 3500+ bulk + Zalman CNPS7700AlCu cooler
    Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO2
    An 80mm case fan

The problem seems to be that Windows XP won't start. I recently reinstalled it just to have a fresh start with all the new hardware and all. It didn't have any problems booting before I installed the new hardware, so I don't think it's about the Windows itself, but the hardware, although I'm not sure what about it.

I'm positive that I installed power cables correctly to all components. I also have the extra power cable to Asus mobo installed. My GTO2 doesn't require extra power as it takes it through the mobo. I also have all fans working correctly when I start up. It possibly couldn't be anything in the power department then?
    My IDE config: I have a 120gb HDD with Windows set as Primary Master, 80gb storage HDD set as Primary Slave and DVD-Rom set as Secondary Master. As I didn't buy any new HDD's or anything, I don't think that the problem is with the jumpers in them. I haven't touched them.

The first time I powered it up I had forgot to insert the extra power cable to the mobo and my GTO2 wasn't working because of that, so I couldn't see what was happening the first time I powered. I just enforced it to shut down.

The second time I powered up, I had all correctly set up (I think), but it said in one of the system loading screens that "CMOS checksum error. Setting defaults". So apparently there was something with the BIOS and it set the BIOS default settings...?

Anyway, it asked me if I want to continue (F1) or go to setup (DEL). I went to setup then to see if everything's correct to me (I'm not really an expert but I know something). I didn't change anything and quit, but then it made the startup beep again, and I was in the part where it asks if I want to continue or go to setup.
    I continued, and it took me to a screen which informed me that Windows didn't start up correctly, and it asked me if I want to start Windows normally, choose the last working config or go to safe mode. I tried all of them and none of them worked. At some point it stopped showing the checksum error, and instead started showing a Asus screen with option to go to setup, if you're fast.
    Also, if I choose to try to load Windows, there's a quick flash of a blue screen with half a screen of white (or grey?) text right before it restarts again. Apparently, it's an error report, right? I've managed to catch the word "corruption" or was it "corrupted" from it.

What could the problem actually be then? I have the memory sticks set correctly (2x512mb in A1 and B1 slots for Dual-Channel). None of my components is overheating - according to BIOS my CPU temp is at 35-40C and mobo temp at ~45C.

Could it possibly be that the CMOS checksum error doesn't actually have anything to do with Windows not starting? Could it be that the problem is actually in Windows?
    Or are they definately related?

Windows not starting would probably indicate to not being able to access the harddrive that it's located in, right? But what can be done, I'm pretty sure the jumpers and the cables are correctly set in the harddrives, they've always worked before.

Thanks for any help.

:-?

karlka

Re: Installed new hardware, WinXP won't start
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 11:30:42 AM »
    hi, try swapping your memory sticks round or just use 1, double check u cables and jumper settings, remove any hardware u dont need sound card, modem etc make sure u are booting from cd in bios then try loading up from there, and see how you go on, check you graphics card and check for updates for your mother board let us no how you go on

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 03:43:50 PM »
    Enter the BIOS and load the failsafe defaults, save and exit. If the BIOS still reports a checksum error, then it's likely to have been corrupted by the power lead omission.

A reinstall of XP would not only be advisable but almost certainly necessary after fitting a new motherboard!
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 03:45:20 PM by Backdated »

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 03:50:33 PM »
      A cruc1al question, did you do a clean install of XP to your HDD then proceed to add all the new hardware after that, or did you add the hardware & then install XP?
      My guess is the first option and if so XP will not be happy.