Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD Sempron Help  (Read 2733 times)

wintermoon

AMD Sempron Help
« on: March 07, 2006, 11:35:19 PM »
Hi!. I purchased a Compaq Presario, AMD Sempron 3500+, Model 1720NX. I installed 1 gig ram. I have an ATI Radeon Express 200 graphics card integrated. I bought a 6500 GeForce Nvidia card. The card was defected. (yes i turned off the radeon). My problem is 3 fold. When i run a system scan of my hardrive. It tells me I am only running a 995 ghz, (thru microsoft, pctools and nvidia), It states that I must be using a laptop. Are those test reliable? How do I know if my processor can handle the nvidia card? I checked and Have the nvidia slot. I can run an AGP or PCI graphics card on my computer. Is it my Power voltage thing?, Did i buy a bum computer? My voltage output is 250. I really bought the computer to run oblivion.
Is there a problem with my processor?, Please help. thanks so much. I will send homebaked chocolate chip cookies.

IT-Guy

Re: AMD Sempron Help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:21:41 AM »
OK.. the most important question you have here is about your power supply... The NVidia card you bought requires a minimum power supply of 300W Max Output (according to NVidia).  I would personally go with a 480W.  Also, you didn't mention the obvious.. but is your card an AGP card or PCI-E?  So in order to run Oblivion (it hasn't been released yet, has it??)  Your AMD 3500+, 1 Gig RAM, and GeForce 6500 should be OK.  I don't know where you're getting the 995gHz, but if you need system specs, just goto System Tools - System Info under your start menu.  One thing you might check, is whether or not you have a utility running like MSI Cool N Quiet... That will run your CPU slower unless more performance is needed... at which point it will max out at 2200.

Good luck in getting your system ready in time..

wintermoon

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:26:40 AM »
Thank you so much!! I'm going to get a new power supply!! Have a great day!!

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:21:45 PM »
Details of your computer plus downloads and troubleshooting info etc can be found [highlight]here[/highlight].

Look at your PSU again - If it's outputting 250 volts there would have been a big bang long ago. ;D
If it's outputting 250 watts in total, then it's well under-rated and should not have been fitted in the first place. If it's a new machine, contact the vendor and demand a replacement PSU.

IT-Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »
Perhaps you missed the part where he replaced the video card.  I'm sure the system runs just fine with the standard integrated video it came with.

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »
No, I didn't miss it. I'm just attempting to ascertain what the rating of the installed PSU is.

wintermoon

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 02:16:31 PM »
Ok. Not that it matters but i'm a girl. LOL I rechecked it.. it's a 250 watt thingie.
It does run fine with the ATI that's installed. Do you really think they will replace my power supply if I demand a new one?

Backdated

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 02:21:56 PM »
They really should as that PSU is seriously underpowered for the machine as it was bought. However, I somehow doubt that they will. Was the PSU rating mentioned n the original spec sheet?
Did your problems occur only after fitting the new graphics card?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 02:22:59 PM by Backdated »

wintermoon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 02:38:07 PM »
yes that's when it all went downhill. I was worried that the ATI wouldn't run oblivion so I thought I would upgrade. I did not know the PSU rating when I purchased the machine, SIGH.

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 07:10:03 PM »
Ah well..... A lesson learned. I wonder how many guys would send out homebaked chocolate chip cookies as a reward? ;) ;D

Until you get that PSU, remove the new card and retest.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 07:10:27 PM by Backdated »

IT-Guy

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 09:36:09 AM »
I'm going for those chocolate chip cookies... so let us know when you get that PSU.

P.S - The thought of a girl who can upgrade her own PC... I knew I should have held out...  (j/k) :)

wintermoon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »
I sincerely thank you guys for your awesome help. LOL @ the Held out comment.
I'm ordering a 400 watt PSU for my athlon and hope that helps me out. All this for a computer game!!! Can't help it love the Elder Scrolls.
Thanks again. Will send cookies, but only the good ones!  ;D