Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Wont Boot Due to Norton 2006 ?  (Read 2618 times)

p84donn

Laptop Wont Boot Due to Norton 2006 ?
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:13:47 AM »
Greetings,
I bought a dell laptop 2nd hand, and when i tried to go on the internet i got messages saying, serious malecious error, your data is at risk.
I have just bought norton system works 2006 to try to solve this problem. When i tried to install, it would not work, i got a windows error message, the ones where it asks you to send a report.
I tried running some of the tools off the disk, it found many problems and fixed them, when it asked me to reboot, it goes past the windows xp load up screen, then a message saying" autochk.? not found - skipping autocheck" that is one the screen for like 2 seconds and then the computer goes into sleep or somehing because i have to hold the power button down for 6seconds then it turns fully off.

Norton gives me the option to use the system goback, i have tried this but its still the same error message then a turn off.

So apart from formatting the C drive again, which i did whe i got the computer, is there a simpler way aorund his, as i have documents and music i really don't want to lose.

Many thanks for all the help

cigarman

Intermediate
    Re: Laptop Wont Boot Due to Norton 2006 ?
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:18:26 AM »
    As a last resort, purchase an 2.5 inch caddy(£8), remove your hd from laptop and install it to the caddy, connect the caddy through usb to another PC that supports usb and retreive all your files that you need.

Once you have done that and you are happy with your files, install your hd back to your laptop and reinstall XP, transfer your file back to laptop in usb memory stick.
    Hope this work for you.

Cigarman

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:26:42 PM »
    This sounds very much like a Smitfraud infection. Carry out the procedures listed [highlight]in this post[/highlight] and post a Hijackthis logfile here when done.
    If possible, zip the logfile and attach it rather than post it.

p84donn

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:03:00 AM »
    thanks for the idea's. I don't know what a hijackthis log file is ??

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:23:14 AM »
    If you read the link I pointed to, you'll find out. ;)

p84donn

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 01:14:18 PM »
    sorry i didn't see the link.
    I disabled norton go back and the computer booted up.

Still 2 viruses on it though, called, fdos.exe (worm) msupdate.exe (trojan horse, both in system 32.

I will go through everything you have listed on that link, thanks alot.