Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: let me try and explain again.  (Read 5574 times)

kamikaze56

let me try and explain again.
« on: March 17, 2006, 09:31:48 PM »
i have an hp pavilion c810n, i honestly couldnt tell you the specs of the computer because i haven't absorbed the lingo yet... but. When i start the computer the fan in the back starts 'buzzing' or whatever, loud, and it stays constant. i have no clue what to do. my monitor would turn on but it would be blank. and thats it! i dont have a clue what to do, ANY advice would help. its no more than two years old and i really dont want to trash it.
kamikaze

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: let me try and explain again.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »
Ever open the case before? Know which card is your video card? Make sure that it's in its slot nice and tight. Maybe its just loose.

Flame

kamikaze56

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 09:43:26 PM »
the case is the back right? ive never touched it because i feared i would break the computer. it could really just be that a card is loose? how could a card get loose, jus by itself? cuz ive never hit the computer.
kamikaze

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:46:55 PM »
When I say open the case, I mean the insides. Chips and stuff you know? Yes, some old computers especially tend to have issues with cards coming loose it seems.

Flame

kamikaze56

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 09:48:14 PM »
ok, i'll try that out, thank you very much, and i will let you know how it goes!
kamikaze

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:50:14 PM »
Sure thing. Make sure you take all necessary precautions before doing anything though. Follow your owner's manual for safety instructions.

Flame

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 11:28:22 PM »
    One of the biggest problems you can have with operating on the computer - my term for going into the insides of it - is something called ESD: Electro-Static Discharge. You know what static electricity is, right? Well, you have that stuff all the time. The only problem is that in a computer, that's BAD. You can fry the computer.

OK, I was bored and made a CAD diagram of the computer. I pointed out the hard drive and power cord for reference. Anyway, you don't have to worry about ESD if you follow these instructions:

1. Turn off the computer (No brainer, but too many people do stuff with it on. It scares me that people do that.)
    2. MAKE SURE THE POWER CORD IS PLUGGED IN. Important! This will ground the computer to help prevent ESD.
    3. Before operating on the inside, touch where I've indicated:

Like I said, I was bored and needed something to do in AutoCAD. :) It'll actually work if you touch anything metal, but that's most likely to be a decent place to do it.

Also, sorry if it doesn't look like your system. It's just a picture of a generic PC. :)
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:03:02 AM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 06:59:30 AM »
    Did you just draw that Dilbert?  :)

Flame

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 09:26:48 AM »
      Yep. It's not very detailed now, but I intend to add on to it so I can reference it later on in my forum life. ;D

kamikaze56

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
      Thanks Dilbert, its detailed enough. but is there any indicator that ive fried my computer? haha, i know it may sound like a dumb question, but id have no clue if ive messed up the computer any further.
      kamikaze

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »
        IF you fry the thing, you WILL know. Guaranteed. You won't always be able to see it right away, but the most spectacular form of it is if you cause sparks to fly, hence the "fried" term. At the least, ESD causes an electric current to pass through the chassis and can severely damage or destroy parts of the computer. For example, you might fry the motherboard. Or the processor. Or something like that. Scary, huh? If you caused ESD, that system isn't likely to boot again.

However, ESD is easily prevented by having the computer off and the power cable plugged in and touching a piece of sheet metal inside the computer that isn't a circuit board or anything like that. The power cable being in is essential; when you touch the metal, that static electricity has to go SOMEWHERE, and if the cable is in, it goes into the wall, which is equipped to handle electric currents. The chassis, however, is not.

If I just scared the heck out of you and even my assurances don't reassure you enough, you can always get a pair of anti-static gloves. They cost about five bucks at the local electronics store. But you shouldn't need to get them; I go inside my computer perhaps a little more frequently than I should, and the only time I use the gloves is when I install something extremely expensive, like a motherboard or CPU.

As for the fan buzzing, I don't think anyone's thought of this yet, but I have had that happen to me from time to time. See, my computer box is so special (i.e. so @$%@ expensive) that it has four or five fans going in there. For a little while, I'd get this buzzing/scraping noise from inside. Lucky for me, the side of my computer box is transparent, so I could see the problem without shutting down. My problem was that a wire had gotten free of the twist-tie and was rubbing up against one of the fans. If I'd just left it there, it could have chewed through the wire's rubber casing and caused a malfunction like never seen before.

So, when you're in there, check to see if any wires are very close to or touching the fan(s). If there are some, get them away from the fans. Twist-tie them if you have to. If not... let us know. :)

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »
          Have you tried using a different monitor yet?

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 03:00:45 PM »
            What? How can this be a monitor problem? I think you replied to the wrong thread by mistake. :)
            « Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 03:01:50 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

Armando

Hopeful
              « Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 03:19:12 PM »
              i have no clue what to do. my monitor would turn on but it would be blank. and thats it!

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »
                If I had a blank monitor the 1st thing I'd do is swap it, did I miss something?