Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook timeout with hotmail  (Read 3556 times)

gyro_66

Outlook timeout with hotmail
« on: March 25, 2006, 03:59:54 AM »
Hey,
whenever i try to download an email from my hotmail a/c which has an attachment bigger than 2mb, outlook gives me a message saying cannot establish connection to server and disconnects from hotmail.  It works fine with all other emails.
Have tried this in outlook 2002 and 2003 and i get the same problem.
I have also tried this in outlook express and it downloads everything fine, so im thinking there is a setting i have missed somewhere
Can anybody help?
Thanks,

Gyro_66

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Outlook timeout with hotmail
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 09:31:31 AM »
I didn't know hotmail supported POP access still? I would say that if Outlook is the only one doing this, then go to http://www.microsoft.com and click on Office Update. I'm sure there's an Outlook update in there for you that might help. If that doesn't work, you might consider reinstalling outlook.

Flame

gyro_66

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 12:02:33 PM »
hey,
im not sure hotmail does support pop3, as when i created the account in outlook, it said it connects to the http server rather than the pop3 one, still though, i have tried downloading from this account on 2 computers and both give the same error, and i have tried re-installing outlook as well.
I really dont see why it is having this problem, considering outlook express works perfectly fine when downloading from this account

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »
Did you buy a subscription for the Outlook Express Hotmail?
You might need to do that first.
If your account is over two years old, you may be able to access it through Outlook. This is because Hotmail did not stop giving access to those who had accounts for a long time, people who most likely did not send spam.

gyro_66

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »
nope, never paid for anything on hotmail, have been on it years and am still using the free a/c

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:13:52 PM »
From what I understand, you have to pay to get POP access. Not sure why it favors OE and not Outlook though...

Flame

gyro_66

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »
im not looking for pop3 access, when i setup a hotmail account in outlook, it lets u choose to set up a http hotmail account, so no pop3

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 07:15:47 PM »
I'm not sure it matters. For example, Yahoo! will only let you access your mail from a web-based system, and not from an E-Mail client. The only way to bypass that is to pay. I have never tried this with Hotmail however, so I can't say for sure...

Flame
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 07:16:10 PM by flame »

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 04:32:48 AM »
    It's more than a year Hotmail ceased free pop access. I mean you can't use Email client anymore. But have no idea about older users. Some say hotmail still let them to use email client.  I have  tried it a year before and it notifed that, Hotmail no longer allows free pop/http access.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 04:33:35 AM by peccavi »
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!